1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Question for the .45 ACP lovers out there

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by IronMaiden0329, May 3, 2012.

1. IronMaiden0329

IronMaiden0329

Jul 8, 2010
    The .45 craze seems to be picking up again and it has me craving a 1911. I do have one question for you guys though: What can a .45 do that my 10mm can't do better? I know that 10mm is much more expensive from the factory, but I reload so that is not really a deciding factor for me. I once shot a Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10mm and hated it compared to my G20. Are there any advantages to carrying a .45? Let me know.

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I think you have summed it up nicely. I think most would agree that the 10mm is superior, other than being slightly smaller diameter.

3. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2001
    depends on what you are using it for ?

.45 has more mass and more readily available

10mm goes faster and has more energy creating a larger crush cavity but can over penetrate.

I carry my 10 in the woods and my .45 in the city.

4. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Could be a psychological thing, but I favor the .45 over the 10mm. It could be that when I was first introduced to the old slab-sided 1911, I had my first real success at actually hitting the target with some degree of accuracy. Of course the 10mm came much later and I tried my hand with the Bren Ten. Ammo was scarce and you'd have to get a second job to snag two boxes of Norma fodder. I felt the 10mm was a bit strident and tended to be hard on the guns and the hands. If I were going the 10mm route today I'd grab a glock and never look back.

Also, bought a Llama .45 about twenty five years ago and won a shooting match with it much to the dismay/chagrin of those that showed up with Colts and Kimbers. Perhaps I just got lucky that day, but I do have faith in the 230 grain pill.

5. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    10mm cost me to much to shoot so i flipped it for another .45. 10mm was great to shoot and accurate but it was also hard to find ammo reasonably priced.

6. egs

egs

Apr 27, 2012
    If you are craving a 1911, how about a 1911 in 10mm?

7. swimmerdude1127

swimmerdude1127

Mar 26, 2007
    Because Sig doesn't make anything in 10mm :D

8. Gundog JYD#138

Gundog JYD#138 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2011
    45acp is the big bullet of hand guns that are practical. The 10mm is okay but the price Of ammo is terrible.
    With modern hollow point bullet diameter is not a problem. I went with the 40s&w because of large mag cap, good size bullet, lots of law enforcement carry .40 so here is lots of ammo at good prices, and it is a fast cartridge.

9. knife hunter

knife hunter "Die Hard Hog" Moderator & Dealer Moderator Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 5, 2007
    THis sums it up for me. THe 10MM is basically an auto .41MAG which has nearly same knock down as a 44mag at close ranges. Its big enough to hunt with if you do a lot of stalking, still hunting etc.

10. high desert

high desert

May 20, 2009
    I shoot my Glock 21sf with a lot more accuracy than the G20. While the felt recoil is similar the .45 is more of a push whereas the 10 has more of a snap. I figured a hit with my .45 is more important than a miss with the 10. Otherwise the damage they do downrange is close enough. The 10 is cool cause Ted has one.

11. kdstrick

kdstrick Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2007
    10 MM will be my next 1911. Ballistics are great!

I suppose that the 45 acp cartridge has a lot of appeal in that it has been used in harms way for generations of Americans. It's reputation is well deserved in the same way that the 30-06 deserves respect. Both are fine calibers, but newer, modern calibers have a distinct edge in many cases. Still, the fact that the 45 ACP, has been around for over a century and is the hands-down preference for modern day pistoleros says much about it's capability as a defensive caliber.

The 10mm will expand to approximately .65 with a good hollowpoint, while 45ACP will expand to .75 or greater. Doubt the bad guy will notice the difference. ;)

12. azshaman

azshaman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2006
    From a lady's viewpoint, I have to agree with David Brown and Knife Hunter. Since I've been shooting, I just prefer the feel and am used to the .45. I would have to say that while the 10mm has superb ballistics, it just felt different on the range.

Embracing simplicity, I'm sticking to .45. I love both my Ed Brown and HK in that caliber, and I know the characteristics of both well enough to feel confident of what the round can and cannot do. Just my two cents' worth, though.

13. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    Downsides of the 10mm I can think of...
    - more kick
    - more expensive rounds (which won't matter for you)
    - will wear on your pistol more than a .45
    - you'll have to worry about over penetration more if using in a home defense scenario

other than that I'd say 10mm is better than .45 it most other ways (more per magazine usually, more power, longer range accuracy, better penetration if hiding behind a wall or something or for hunting game or protection against something bigger like a black bear or cougar)

14. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2005
    1. Greater availability: The .45 ACP is sold anywhere that carries ammunition, whereas the 10mm Auto is more of a specialty round.
    2. Reasonable recoil: Although the .45 ACP has a reputation for being a wrist-breaker, it is nothing compared to the 10mm Auto.
    3. Engineered to work: John Moses Browning was a genius and the rounds he designed reflect that in the reliability they possess.
    4. Historical significance: 100 years and counting.
    5. Mini-guns: You can get an Officer's ACP or similar model for the .45 ACP but no one sells a mini-10 (you can cobble one together on a custom basis, however).
    6. Kinesthetics: The .45 ACP borders on languid compared to the 10mm Auto, which can be a bit frenetic.
    7. Freedom of choice: The .45 ACP comes in a broad array of options while the 10mm Auto is pretty much confined to the 1911, Glock, and EAA Witness platforms.

15. Z51

Z51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2006
    If you like the 10 mm, don't buy a 45 ACP unless you just want one.

The 10 mm will drop them in their tracks and so will the 45..........

For me, personally, I like a 1911 in 45 ACP.

Here's a photo of my best Wilson........

[​IMG]

16. Longtrang

Longtrang

Jan 21, 2010
    One word..... Nighthawk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. IronMaiden0329

IronMaiden0329

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies folks!!! I can see why many of you enjoy the 1911 platform. I shot a friend's Para Ordnance 14-45 today and it felt like I was shooting a 9. Many of you have made valid points about carry (over penetration, etc.) in the 10mm. My only complaint about the 1911 is grip angle, I simple don't aim it naturally like I do with the Glock. I find myself aiming slightly downwards upon presentation. That being said, do any of you recommend the Glock .45s or should I suck it up, retrain, and get a 1911? I really just want a .45 to complete my collection of calibers. I shoot .357 SIG, .40 Short & Weak :)p), and 9mm through my G32 and 10mm through my G20. What I may end up doing is selling my G20, Getting a G21, and buying a 10mm barrel for it. Then when money is better, invest in a decent 1911.

18. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006
    For me the availability of ammo make the 45 the easy choice.

Big Mike

19. racegunner

racegunner Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2000
    That would be the backwards<->wrong way to do it. The slide on the G21 is lighter and not made to fire 10mm. It's machined out in the inside. Take a look.
    You just need to get a Glock 29. The direct answer to your original question is no, a 45 cannot do anything a 10mm can't do better.
    And now to really screw you up ... 45 Super!!

20. high desert

high desert

May 20, 2009
    I really like my G21sf but would love to own a sig sauer p220 along with it. I bought a 1911 earlier this year because I loved to shoot the race gun I used to own(15 years ago). For me the 1911 was super accurate for me as long as I practiced on a regular basis with it. The Glocks always seemed to shoot fairly well for me even if I was lazy about practice. After buying this new 1911 which cost less than $800 and took it out to shoot and had two failures to feed in the first two magazines. I was sick about buying it. I know you can try different ammo, mags etc and have gun smithing work but my confidence with this firearm was shaken and I went back to shooting my glocks which have never had any issues period. To make a long story short. I recommend you buy another glock since you already like them or the p220 or any premium 1911. The less expensive 1911's can have the shortcomings 1911's are known for. I mean no offense to 1911 diehards as I like them too.