1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Questions for the maker

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Osprey Knife & Tool, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Funny you ask, you should stay tuned for the work in progress preview I am working on a lot of cool stuff for you to digest coming down the pipeline

2. SPownson

SPownson Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm looking forward to seeing them!
    Thank you.

3. 1Hiker2

1Hiker2 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2012
    How do I find out when your next knife sale is?

4. mjbine

mjbine Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Keep watching this Sub-Forum. Chris will post some previews then a sale date with the next batch.

5. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014

mjbine is correct! Although I have a feeling I will be releasing a few here in there from know until blade show on surprise occasions.

Thanks for answering this one for me Michael :thumbup:

6. xxwjtxx

xxwjtxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Chris,
    I just picked up an amazing second hand W2 trailhand on the exchange -- can you share a little more about your W2 heat treat, characteristics of the steel, and your perspective on it as a steel for a user bc knife (I'm an 01/A2 junkie)?

as an aside, the fieldhand is my new favorite knife -- just trying to learn a bit more about your choice to use w2 on this model!

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    So that is where that awesome little trailhand went. I knew I should not have hesitate to grab that thing.

By no means speaking for Chris but the W2 were a handful of knives where he was playing around with differential heat treat and producing a Hamon. There are probably less than 5 of them out there. I would assume it is akin to O1in most regards but I'm looking forward to Chris' reply.

Now I'm wanting a OKT with a Hamon!

8. xxwjtxx

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks Danny, great insight! It's a really cool knife; already loving it -- the super high carbon content makes it a dream to sharpen on the strop and is already turning some crazy colors from kitchen use!

9. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Hey Will,

Nice score on the beauty. As Danny correctly pointed out, the model name is actually “Trail Hand” rather than “Field Hand.” Whatever the name, it is a damn nice knife.

For your reference, I have attached the link to the 08/18/16 sales thread where it originally sold.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1422177-Osprey-K-T-Sales-Thread-8-18-16

Trail Hand
    1/8" (.125") W2 Tapered Tang w/Hamon (Belt Finish)
    Black and Jute Micarta
    OAL 7 1/4”
    Blade 3 1/4”
    $260.00 (sold)

*If you look closely you can see the hamon in the spine

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Enjoy using that one Will. It is nice to see you finally make the jump to the OK&T forum. Chris’ knives are very addicting once you get going on them.

Phil

10. xxwjtxx

Dec 13, 2013
    Ah thanks Phil; still learning all of the OKT models ;)! I appreciate the reference info & history on the knife; super helpful!

:thumbup:

11. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you for your question, and I am excited to dive into the W2 subject at hand,
    I will be back in a few days with a detailed response to your question, I would like to collect and organize some notes.

12. Warrior108

Warrior108 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Well Chris, I've slept on this and because different manufacturers and makers have different heat treat process and results, I've just got to ask these ...

Of the steels you are offering, which do you feel is best when it comes to:
    Ease to sharpen
    Edge retention
    Corrosion resistance
    Least likely to chip
    Overall winner winner chicken dinner

Also, would you mind testing and sharing the hardness for your:
    A2 (if you have any available)
    W2 (if you have any available)
    CPM154
    S35VN
    3V

Thanks,
    Jerry

13. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

Apologies, I decided to revisit and re answer this question soon!

I realized half way through my response I want to start over and answer differently

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Reserved.......

15. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Reserved.....

16. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

I have not made any of my Knives in A2

The only steel I have tested at the moment is CPM154, I was hitting right at 60HRC
    I would be glad to test the other ones as I heat treat and can offer more test on the CPM154.

I will have to get back to you on the first part of your question when I can free my hands up.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    Hey Chris,
    Can your tell us what is going on in this picture / what are you doing with the knife clamped down?

Thanks
    Jerry

[​IMG]

18. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    In this picture I am sanding the flats of the the blades to remove the remaining mill scale and to polish out any scratches fro tapering the blade. I take the flats up to 320 grit before hammer texturing. This allows me to get an even look across the flats and imparts the shiney character you see on the flats after texturing.

The clamp helps me hold the blade in place while sanding the flats. Im not sure if you are familiar with polishing metal, but its labor intensive and I produce a lot of friction the blade is almost to hot to hold immediately after I polish the flats,

Since 99% of my blades are tapered I shim the tang with paper so I can clamp the blade evenly while sanding. It isnt the best set-up. But is works for now and I have probably sanded a couple 100 blades on the apparatus.

I neat little by product of this process I didn't intend on, is by my sanding of the flats I actually end up with a slight distal taper to the blade!

19. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    @Osprey Knife & Tool Thanks for the explanation and info. It looks like you mount the abrasive (assuming sandpaper) on that handle too. I guess this means the texturing is done after the flats are sanded.

Additional question: Is it difficult to part with a knife you've made? Is it difficult when you first get into it and then becomes easier over time? Releasing them out to the world?