1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ratmandu vs Rodent 4

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Ironwood666, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Ironwood666

Ironwood666

Apr 5, 2012
    Hey all, so...I've decided to treat myself to a couple new knives for my survival woods stuff...I've decided on the Rodent solution for one of them, as it's the ultimate size, but I thought I'd also get something a tad bigger for fun. Both the Rodent 4 and the Ratmandu look like great knives. Which one would you all go with?
    Thanks for looking, Ironwood

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2010
    I don't own a Rodent 4, but I have a RatManDu and absolutely love it. I actually had a RMD a few years ago and had to sell it, but I just recently bought another one because it's just one of those blades that you can't get out of your system.....in other words, it's nearly perfect (ergo, size, performance, etc).

3. biglapdog

biglapdog

Apr 19, 2011
    I dont have an R4 however I have several RMDs and I sincerely feel it is the best knife I have ever held.

You can't go wrong with the RMD.

4. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator

Nov 30, 2001
    Another vote for the RMD, I have had a couple of Satin Jacks and I still like my RMD over them. It's a fantastic do all blade.

5. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    Ratmandu all the way..because its bigger than the rodent 4 and you will have the smaller Solution.

6. Ironwood666

Ironwood666

Apr 5, 2012
    Well, thanks for the posts, looks like the R4 isn't going to be joining my collection...

7. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    The DU is my FAV!

8. j man

j man

Aug 1, 2010
    RMDU is the perfect knife if you were only going to take 1 in to the sticks.
    The most balanced designed knife you can get IMO.

9. deth1313

deth1313

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't have any RS but I LOVE my RMDs. Probably the best overall fixed blade I have ever used. The blade is a great length, great thickness and the handle is perfect.

10. darkaether

darkaether KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 23, 2006
    RMD all day long. Everybody should have one. You'll be glad you did

11. Ironwood666

Ironwood666

Apr 5, 2012
    Well, time to order the RMD.......

12. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I just might be the only vote for the Rodent 4! I hate to throw a wrench in the works guys, but I honestly like the Rodent 4 more than the Ratmandu! When I first saw the new Rodent series ergonomics, I was very skeptical based on the pictures. I got my hands on a Rodent 9 and Rodent 4, and I LOVE them both. The handle bumps might not suite others' hands very well, but my mitt fits like a glove on these babies. The bump allows TWO fingers on either side at all times, thus you have complete control choked up on the blade, gripping the entire handle, and choked back on the blade while chopping. Plus the R4 is noticeably lighter than the Ratmandu. Makes a world of difference if you carry your knife on your belt while hiking. LAST comment: the Rodent 4 arrived sharper than any other Swamp Rat knife I have ordered :thumbup: Thin stock SR-101 and the new ultra convex bevel make for a sharp piece of steel! I will do something semi-productive with my Rodent 4 (no promises though) and post some pictures of the ergos in action. After all, having a safe queen Swamp Rat should be illegal :p

13. Ironwood666

Ironwood666

Apr 5, 2012
    Well..........That seems to throw a wrench in my grand plan...I just might have to go with both the R4 and the RMD...a new pack can wait!

14. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Haha, my apologies! My philosophy is "get both." You can always get your cash back if you decide to sell a Busse/Bussekin :thumbup: IMHO, which means absolutely nothing, both are definitely worth having!

15. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator

Nov 30, 2001
    Ah! NOW your thinking like a true Rat Ironwood!! :D :D :D

16. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    I like the way you think. I love both and would have a hard time choosing myself. best bet is to get both and keep the one that works the best for you. :D

17. BRab

BRab

Nov 23, 2009
    I actually prefer the Rodent 4 to the RMD, however if you already have a Rodent Solution I would probably get the RMD since it is a little longer compared to the R4. Or as previously mentioned, get both...

18. InquisitorLord

InquisitorLord

Jun 4, 2011
    I think the more appropriate question here would be RS or Rodent 4... That being said they are different sized blades which might (probably will) serve different roles/purposes in which case you should get them both... Then, when they show up in the mail, tape the package back up put my address and proper postage on the outside and give it to the mail carrier. When I get them I will evaluate them properly and submit my review in the proper format. ;):D

19. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2012
    I can now say that I have handled both the R4 and RMD. They are both great blades, the RMD is extremely highly praised on the forums. Whereas the Rodent 4 is still establishing itself as a great design. The R4 felt great in my hands in all positions, possibly even better than the RMD's fantastic ergonomics. The weight of the R4 felt around a few ounces lighter, which is always a good thing in a non-chopper design. I could see a day where the R4 gets spoken of as highly as the RMD. I'm debating a Rodent 4 order right now...

20. high desert

high desert

May 20, 2009
    I 've owned both. I give the edge to the ratmandu.