recommendation for next!

I have a large sebenza 21 with micarta inlays.
Now I am looking for the next one and I like tough folding knives, so what do you suggest me as a next inkosi or umnumzaan? and Why?
Thank you.

I would say Umnumzaan. I've got one I use for work and a second one, old pivot tanto, coming this week. The name means the Boss or Head of the Family for good reason. It is the largest and toughest CRK of them all. A badass knife for sure, capable of more severe duty use than any other CRK (which is saying something as every CRK can hold their own.)

Plus, it just looks awesome! :)

I would say Umnumzaan. I've got one I use for work and a second one, old pivot tanto, coming this week. The name means the Boss or Head of the Family for good reason. It is the largest and toughest CRK of them all. A badass knife for sure, capable of more severe duty use than any other CRK (which is saying something as every CRK can hold their own.)

I did a bit search on it and found out that they are not offering the umnumzaan with big old pivot anymore.
Are the old pivots tougher than the current ones in production? or it is just cosmetic?

Equally tough, just a cosmetic change to the pivot some years ago to make it compatible with hex wrenches instead of the proprietary double spanner-type pivot that requires a special tool from CRK to remove.

The Umnumzaan is my favorite CRK, the model I've owned the most of. That said, the Large Inkosi has a tougher blade tip (unless you opt for the Tanto version of the Umnumzaan). Any of these will exceed you needs and expectations though.

Ok thank you for the information you provided me.

Does CRK offer any customization for the umnumzaan like sebenza?
Only I have seen some with Star-Tac handle. but CRK is not offering this as an option in their website!!!

Old pivot Umnumzaan coming you say? Congrats! I recently got one myself..probably from the same source ;)

I think you're right, Bill. :)

Pics when it comes in :)

For the OP- Umnumzaan old pivot if you can find one or an Inkosi. I do like the current Umnumzaans, but not nearly as much as the previous ​style.

Ok thank you for the information you provided me.

Does CRK offer any customization for the umnumzaan like sebenza?
Only I have seen some with Star-Tac handle. but CRK is not offering this as an option in their website!!!

Other than what you mentioned, the Umnumzaan does not come in any other configuration. I've seen where some have them anodized, but that's about it. The Inkosi's do have micarta inlays so far.

I'm gonna have to say Inkosi. It is SO smooth. I have an old pivot Zaan, and I find the Zaan is the least smooth of all my CRKs, although it looks awesome. I also find the Inkosi blade grind to be a little slicier, yet still very robust, which I like more.

Also, this is gonna be a slim to none chance of happening comment, but I'll say it anyway. I always liked the Sebenza and Inkosi traditional stop pin rather than the Zaan style. If you drop the Zaan just right on a hard surface and bend where the studs sit on the handle, you could mess up the lockup. That's not a worry on the others. Again, not likely to happen but I like that it can't happen to the Inkosi.

EDIT: you beat me by a few minutes...enjoy the Zaan!

The Umnumzaan is my favorite CRK, the model I've owned the most of. That said, the Large Inkosi has a tougher blade tip (unless you opt for the Tanto version of the Umnumzaan). Any of these will exceed you needs and expectations though.

Interesting. I never knew the inkosi tip was beefier than that if the zaan. Would you be able to take a picture of them side by side for a comparison.

I have been thinking about trying a zaan, but if the inkosi has a more robust blade, I don't see the need to try one

Interesting. I never knew the inkosi tip was beefier than that if the zaan. Would you be able to take a picture of them side by side for a comparison.

I have been thinking about trying a zaan, but if the inkosi has a more robust blade, I don't see the need to try one

According the specifications on CRK site, they both have the same blade thickness.
But regarding the tip toughness, zaan has a swedge tip, so that makes the point finer and maybe that's why Inkosi has a tougher blade tip as it is not thinned like Umnumzaan's tip. just my opinion!

Of course This assumption is not valid for tanto blade shape!

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to say Inkosi. It is SO smooth. I have an old pivot Zaan, and I find the Zaan is the least smooth of all my CRKs, although it looks awesome. I also find the Inkosi blade grind to be a little slicier, yet still very robust, which I like more.

Also, this is gonna be a slim to none chance of happening comment, but I'll say it anyway. I always liked the Sebenza and Inkosi traditional stop pin rather than the Zaan style. If you drop the Zaan just right on a hard surface and bend where the studs sit on the handle, you could mess up the lockup. That's not a worry on the others. Again, not likely to happen but I like that it can't happen to the Inkosi.

EDIT: you beat me by a few minutes...enjoy the Zaan!

As I have sebenza, thought the Inkosi is something similar to that but more robust version. This is more less the reason of my Umnumzaan choice.
But thank you very much to warn me regarding the lockup that was the issue that I couldn't imagine. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back