• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

repost Rough use knife!

This is the first blade Ive posted out of my favorite steel 52100! My personal outdoors knife is made from this steel and has done nothing but amaze me with its cutting performance!

OAL- 9"
blade- 4 3/4" long, .215" thick, 1" wide at the guard
steel- Aldo's high carbon 52100, Forged, with in-house diff heat treatment. the heat treat on this takes me a week and a half to bring out all I can from the steel
grind- a full convex grind, with distal taper
finish- etched 800 grit finish, with hamon
handle- tough as nails hickory
guard- 1/4" brass, and 1/8" brass pin, with 1/4" brass butt-cap, tang is through butt-cap and peened over
sheath- 11oz leather, hand stitched, clean, hot-waxed, with cam, for "snap fit", 3 copper rivets for belt loop
blade fully tested for edge retention and tip strenth before finishing

One really cool thing about this knife is when it came out of the etch, I noticed a really nice pattern of swirls and wavy lines in the finish. they arent finishing marks, and look damascus-like, even though it is one piece of steel. I wasnt able to get a good picture of it, but you can see some in the pictures I posted, my camera just cant seem to pick up that much detail.

this is a no-nonsense, hard use blade!!

$175 shipped to CONUS. I can accept paypal Joe357m@bresnan.net or money order.

1st to post "I'll take it" gets it!!! {Sold Pending funds!!}

441252100left.jpg441252100right.jpg441252100hamon.jpg441252100etch.jpg441252100sheath.jpg

Feedback appreciated, and thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice knife Joe ! The brass butt cap along with the brass guard is most attractive. Did you dye or stain the Hickory wood ?
Whatever you did, it came out looking great.
roland (a fan of Joe Calton knives)

That should take some hard use indeed! Looks great. 52100 is hard to beat for hard use.

Roland, Thanks! The hickory is natural, I didnt start learning about stains until yours, and I made this one before that.

drducati, thanks! 52100 is my favorite for tough all around use!

This one is SOLD pending funds! Thanks guys!!

Back