1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Restoration of Grandpa's hunting knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Charlie Mike, May 10, 2012.

1. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    I recently was given 3 of my recently departed grandpa's knives. The one I am restoring is marked Cattorangus 225Q.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    My condolences for your grandfather, that knife looks superb and I think would do him proud.

3. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    It's a Cattaraugus, Matt, and what a great one to restore.
    Sorry to hear about your grandpa's passing, that's a hard thing.

The Cattaraugus Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.

In 1890, Mr. Champlin purchased cutlery manufacturing equipment from a failed business called the Beaver Falls Cutlery factory. Because Champlin started in the knife business as a wholesaler for a company who Imported German and English knives he had great knowledge about the cutlery business. As a wholesaler, he knew the market well, and he knew the shortcomings of the U.S. knife manufacturers. His plan was simple. He believed that the business would thrive if he could providing the highest quality cutlery available. In order to achieve this goal, he hired the best cutlers and provided them with the highest quality materials. This combination proved to be successful. Champlin brought in cutlers from Germany, England, and other U.S. manufacturers. The knives that were created in these early years set the quality standard by which all other U.S. manufacturers were measured.

Doug :)

4. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Stacking leather with 12 hr epoxy...

[​IMG]

5. IVANKERLEY

IVANKERLEY

May 30, 2007
    awesome, love the 225Q a tank of a knife! love mine
    my condolences on your loss
    you'll have a tank of a knife when your done
    regards
    gene

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. seelow123

seelow123

Oct 4, 2008
    Sorry for your loss, Matt. The knife looks like it's coming along nicely though:thumbup:

7. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words. He was where I got my love for guns and knives and infantry.

8. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Condolences to you on your loss...
    Thank You for the pics of this re-store...clever little piece those butt caps are...never knew how they did that before...
    the blade came out nice :thumbup: looking forward to seeing this one finished...

9. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I´m sorry to hear that... condolences to you and the family.

The knife looks really interessting. I´m looking forward seeing more of how it goes on the that great looking old knife.

Kind regards
    Andi

10. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    This is awesome. Can't wait to see the final product.

-- Mark

11. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    That's a great looking knife there. Waiting to see it finished. :D

12. OzarkCreekWalker

OzarkCreekWalker

Jul 25, 2011
    I'm excited for this one!

13. CQC86

CQC86

Mar 4, 2008
    Thats awesome man. I bet he was proud to see you earn your CIB.

14. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    He was also there to hug me when I was an emotional wreck afterwards.

15. CQC86

CQC86

Mar 4, 2008
    Sometimes it takes an Infantryman to understand another grunt. It's special when it's your grandpa. What regiments did you both serve in? I myself was in the 502nd, 101st.

16. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Wow! I was 502 as well. My grandfather was 20th Armored out of Camp Campbell.

17. CQC86

CQC86

Mar 4, 2008
    You wern't HHC 2/502 were you?

18. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Nope. 1/502.

19. Knife Crazied

Knife Crazied

Apr 17, 2009
    Can't wait to see the finished piece CM and sorry to hear od your granddads passing.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

20. CQC86

CQC86

Mar 4, 2008
    Either way Infantry all the way man. Tankers and Cavalryman the same. I can't wait to see your Grandpa's blade restored to it's righteous glory. Stay safe my friend.