Ridiculously accurate .22 rifle

Wow, gee everyone, thanks for the tips! Many people who I respect from seeing their other posts, and their businesses (not least of all the almighty pirate Spark himself!) I'll definitely look at the suggestions, mull them over with the rimfirecentral people, and see if I can get in contact with the biathlon place nearest me and figure out what THEY use and their policies on lending (they're at least 3 hours away, so while I could make it out there for weekends and winter training, not so much for actual target practice). I definitely think the biggest thing for me is just rifle shooting at the range- as I've said before, I really haven't done much rifle actually, so I need a TON of range time.

Also, I'll be honest: I haven't really done any barbie accessorizing with firearms, so I'd really be at a lost customizing them, as I've shot stock, done a little cleaning, and that was it. I've never so much as shot a scoped firearm of any sort, so swapping out components is a little daunting (I can read instructions, and worked on mountain and road bikes so the mechanicals are fine: it's the entire synergy of understanding rifles; whether the trigger, barrel, or receiver (etc.) is the most important part to upgrade).

I'll hopefully be done with this class at the end of April (cross your fingers!) and probably then really do all the calling, figure out what are the best options, and then see what I can get- hopefully I'll remember to let you know what I get when I get it- but if I don't let you know by the end of May, PM me and ask me what's up. I believe anyone that asks advice from guys like you all must share what they ended up getting.

Any more replies, I'll be happy to look at as well.

Thanks again everyone, I read every post and appreciate all input.

Zero

+1 on the Czech rifles, and +1 on the rimfire-central forum.

Also, check out snipercentral.com, there's a solid following of highly skilled rimfire shooters there. Tell 'em Taylorism sent ya. PM me when you get there and maybe read a bunch before you post. There isn't a specific forum for that there, but I'll be happy to hook you up with the guys there that are into it. A couple of them are flat-out rockstars at it.

BTW I agree with Wilde, 1/2 MOA @ 100 yds for a rimfire is a real stretch even with top-notch ammo.

Well, I can get .25" groups at 100 yards.

The hard part is doing it consistently.

You will not find a .22 rifle that will do .5" at 100 yards consistently. It doesn't even have that much to do with the rifle. The .22 round just isn't cut out for it.

not true at all with good quality ammo (CCIs mainly) I can shoot .5" groups at 100 yards (with still winds) all day long.

I shot competition bench rest shooting with a .22. My first rifle was 1 $1200 Sako it was nice, but when you basically have to put the bullet through the same hole every shot you need the best and that in my experiance is the Anschutz. You ammunition is going to have to be the best as well, I would suggest Lapua Match Grade.

Since you cant go high dollar I would suggest a CZ425. You are never going to get a 10/22 accurate enough and if you get close you will have spent well over 1K

not true at all with good quality ammo (CCIs mainly) I can shoot .5" groups at 100 yards (with still winds) all day long.

gilding the lily just little eh? lol when Sierra starts making moly-coated smk's for CCi to load into rimfire ammo, you'll be able to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds all day long

One other thing you make check out is a Pellet Biathlon Trainer rifle. Cheap.

PAul

Those who don't believe a .22 can shoot groups smaller than .5" regularily have never shot a match grade .22. And the Anschutz is the only match rifle mentioned in this thread so far. As for being able to shoot 1/2 MOA with a .22 and winning "every match", you couldn't be more wrong. The average shot groups at .22 matches I used to attend in Europe ran about the size of an asprine tablet. Any shot not touching would disqualify the shooter, and those were not common.

The Kimber 82 (below) was spec'd from the Mfr for the Army with 1/2 MOA capability (which means any rifle that didn't shoot that was refused.) This one shoots about 1/4 MOA with Eley match ammo. It does not have the match sights anymore, as my eyes don't do them that well. You can get one of these rifles (complete and ready to shoot Biathalon) from DMC for $600. (Not including the 4x14 Leupold scope shown.)

Kimber.jpg

You might also look at a used target rifle. Here's a Winchester 75 that shoots little tiny groups I'd consider selling for $500 (check the prices on Gunbroker sometime.)

WIN752.jpg

As for building your own, realize the sights will run you @ $200 on their own.

Those who don't believe a .22 can shoot groups smaller than .5" regularily have never shot a match grade .22. And the Anschutz is the only match rifle mentioned in this thread so far. As for being able to shoot 1/2 MOA with a .22 and winning "every match", you couldn't be more wrong. The average shot groups at .22 matches I used to attend in Europe ran about the size of an asprine tablet. Any shot not touching would disqualify the shooter, and those were not common.

The Kimber 82 (below) was spec'd from the Mfr for the Army with 1/2 MOA capability (which means any rifle that didn't shoot that was refused.) This one shoots about 1/4 MOA with Eley match ammo. It does not have the match sights anymore, as my eyes don't do them that well. You can get one of these rifles (complete and ready to shoot Biathalon) from DMC for $600. (Not including the 4x14 Leupold scope shown.)

I'm pretty sure you're confusing 50 yards for 100 yards.

Here is a picture of my rifle:

rifle02.jpg

It is a custom .22 benchrest rifle built by a smith named Bill Calfee (the king of .22 benchrest smiths). It has a Turbo action, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, Shillen barrels (I had three of them), that thing on the end is a Hoehn barrel tuner, and that's a 36 power scope on top. The trigger had a pull of .8 oz. All you had to do was look at it funny and it would fire. There is no better rifle. Don't believe me? Goto benchrest.com and ask.

I eventually sold it for $3800. I got out of the sport after I got bored with it.

However, while I was shooting, I shot with some of the best guys in the country. I know exactly what a .22 rifle can do.

Last edited:
Rifle, scope, modifications done? How do you prep your ammo and what flavor in particular? *Very* interested in any 1/2 MOA rimfire combos......
I used to be a very competative shooter in smallbore (Ft. Polk shooting team, 1999-2002). Lilja smithed Remington 40X with a 36x Leupold and a box stock Remington 37 with a 20x Unertl. Here's a picture of a 10 shot string with my 40X at 100yds with Eley 10X ammo(rim guaged into specific batch) off sandbags. It measures 1/2 inch (1 inch bull) OUTSIDE edge to OUTSIDE edge (do the math on what MOA that is) That put me in the newspaper article you see to the side there. The other target is my 37 with irons and old Federal 900b from the prone. Two 3 shot strings of well under 1/2 inch.
BreasPictures127.jpg

BreasPictures128.jpg

Last edited:
Sure would love to see a 10/22 shoot .5 in groups at 100yds
And as I live nearby, could we meet at the range?

I've owned many .22s and never had one that would do that,
including a Anshutz MS

At one point CZ made a biathlon entry level rifle, don't know if they still do.

Leadfoot

One other thing you make check out is a Pellet Biathlon Trainer rifle. Cheap.

PAul

What ranges do air rifles approximate for 50 yards/ 1.8 inches and 4.5 inches? I haven't really looked at air rifles EVER after the Boy Scouts... Are they really all that accurate if there's any wind or anything? Unfortunately due to where I live, I'd have to use a range- close by (about 10 minutes)... there is an undeveloped plot near me, but given what property prices are, anyone "with a gun!" running around would be picked up pretty quick.

Where would I get an air rifle? Is it a FFL thing, or is it not a firearm?? All I know about them is that Lewis & Clark had a .50 cal version, and Sherlock Holmes was scared of them.
Zero

Those who don't believe a .22 can shoot groups smaller than .5" regularily have never shot a match grade .22
I'm not buying any 10/22 shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. The best match grade rimfire rifles might approach that, maybe, but I'm skeptical. 50 yds is a different story.

My Browning T-bolt was less than $500 and it shoots dime-sized groups with CCI Green Box ammo at 50 meters all day long. I don't know how much iron sights would cost you though. BTW CCI's blue box subsonic matches the green box ballistics really well and is the most accurate ammo for the economicaly inclined in my experience.

Back