1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Rockwood State Park

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by nate1714, Oct 2, 2012.

1. nate1714

nate1714

Apr 16, 2005
    I stop by this place a time or two a year. This time I went out in late June. To be honest its nothing fantastic. Trails are limited and not maintained well. I did take the nephew out to teach him some orienteering and knife skills. There is a decently long horse trail around the park, though I don't own a horse. They do have a small lake for fishing and kayaking/boating. Mainly its just a good place to kill a few hours or go camping for a short overnight trip. The nearby town does have a great Dairy Queen though.
    http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r1/morrison.htm

Trail started off promising this morning.
    [​IMG]
    Sun was still coming up a bit
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the only 3 trail markers I found. The trail was rough and as I hiked I cleared it a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Yet still nature is fascinating...
    [​IMG]
    Trail got a bit better away from the lake
    [​IMG]
    Closer to Prairies and farmland the trails were tall grass
    [​IMG]
    Interesting how fast the trail changed from woods, grassland then pine trees
    [​IMG]
    Nephew found a baby frog
    [​IMG]
    Oh it doesn't look like much in this pic but, this trail is all mud!
    [​IMG]
    Last view of overgrown trail before finally breaking out into a local corn field.
    [​IMG]

A few hours well spend. Knife skills and rough trails help in the learning process. It was a good hike.

Thanks for checking these out!

2. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Looks like a great place to hike

3. Saymon

Saymon

Jun 18, 2012
    Seems like a great place for outdoor activity.

4. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I did my college internship at White Pines Forest State Park, not far from there to the east.
    White Pines is a tiny park, but worth a stop if you're passing by. Apple Canyon and Franklin Creek are two other attractive parks in the region, if you haven't already been.

5. nate1714

nate1714

Apr 16, 2005
    I went to White Pines as a kid to look for some fossils...long story short...ended up wayyy to close to a unfriendly snake. Have not been to the other parks you mentioned.