Rollin' with Niagara Specialty Metals

Hi Joe,
The particle metal process creates a very fine and uniform grain structure - far more so than the conventional iterations of the comparable standard alloys of 154 and D2, so the claims are quite valid.

My experiences with 3v have been consistent with those charts, also. 4v's claim to have greater wear resistance with slightly degraded toughness sounds like a good tradeoff for most of the knives I make, with the exception of big choppers. I'm a pinch concerned about finish requirements of it, though, as 3v is a horrible pig to hand sand to 600 grit!!!!!

The super secret project steel, however, is none of the above.

And I can't talk about it.

:D

Much in the same way I can't talk about the super secret 3-way I had this weekend with Kate Upton and Marissa Miller :p

Hey the rest of your thread was awesome though

the one i am soon testign is around 2 points aof V not 3 or 4 so im in great hopes of the hand finishing to be much better

I'm a pinch concerned about finish requirements of it, though, as 3v is a horrible pig to hand sand to 600 grit!!!!!

Are you talking before or after HT? Pre-HT, I don't find it all that bad; it's doable at least. After HT, fuggitaboutit, belt-finish all the way.

One of my favorite things about high-alloy steels is that when you work with them for a few weeks and then go back to a batch of O1 or 1084 blades, it seems so easy to grind and finish, it's almost like cheating :D

What? You having them cook up another batch of Cru Forge?;)
Hi Joe,
The particle metal process creates a very fine and uniform grain structure - far more so than the conventional iterations of the comparable standard alloys of 154 and D2, so the claims are quite valid.

My experiences with 3v have been consistent with those charts, also. 4v's claim to have greater wear resistance with slightly degraded toughness sounds like a good tradeoff for most of the knives I make, with the exception of big choppers. I'm a pinch concerned about finish requirements of it, though, as 3v is a horrible pig to hand sand to 600 grit!!!!!

:D

What? You having them cook up another batch of Cru Forge?;)

The best damn steel no one was willing to try... totally heartbreaking. If I manage to stumble across a couple hundred pounds, it'll be hoarded like gold!

Back