1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sam Lurquin Tsavo (AMAZING)

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by JParanee, Oct 17, 2012.

1. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sam and I have grown to be pen pals thanks to my friend Norbert. Thx Norbert :)

Sam sends me pics of knives and dogs and we have the same taste in both

Last year at Blade Sam delivered my Hurak and made a large impression on not only me with his fantastic work. His agressive blade shapes and excellent handles are just simple put......twisted steel and sex appeal

At blade I put in an open order for next years Blade that was to be discussed as time got close.

Today a pic of some excellent dogs and a pic of a knife called the Tsavo came in

If you are not familiar with Tsavo I will give you some back ground

The Great Coloniel John Patterson was givin the comission to build a bridge across the River Tsavo in what today is Kenya

To make a long story short there was a band of young male lions that decided to feed on the laborers

There where so many botched attempts to kill the lions they took on an almost super natural presence with the workers and caused a state of terror that basically halted the bridge being finished and at a time when there was a race going on to complete a railway I can only imagine the heat that was put on Patterson to complete both tasks , killing the lions and completing the bridge

I have been to that area and have read the tale many times. I even have a first addition of the Colonel's book :)

In the end Patterson killed the lions and built the bridge but the tales of terror and mishap that will always follow this tale are legendary and every hunter that has dreamed of Africa retells them. Movies like The Ghost In The Darkness helped make the tale more well known, but I knew it as a boy.

Usually a lion is old or injured when it turns to eating man but what was amazing was that these lions where not old and in relative good health

My theory is like I have mentioned these lions followed the large track laying group of labores feeding on the workers who died of disease and sickness. The bodies of the deceased wkere left behind in not much more than a shallow grave which makes for an easy meal. They can lay track relatively quickly except when you come to a mountain that needs blasted or a river that needs spanned.

When the large work party stopped the lions caught up, simple as that and there taste for flesh was primed and ready to go

Sam likes to name his knives from his many dogs and in this case a pair of lions that at the time caused enough brutal carnage to go down in history as some of the greatest man killers of all time

I LOVE It

The TSAVO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW great leather

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    Take a guess for who this one is......:)

3. Berno

Berno

Dec 9, 2009
    Merci Joe, ;) "Rendez vous" in less than a month with of better photos. Sam worked a lot, I am going to have to make many pictures....

Can be even with a small report of the show of Gembloux.....

4. John White

John White

Jun 23, 2007
    Whoa, Beauty and Beast!

That's fantastic on all counts, Joe and Sam.

John

5. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Erik

Congrats it is a wonderful knife :)

6. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Oh my! I litterally was stunned by that blade! That is pure and deadly seduction!

-Xander

7. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Erik,

Fantastic piece of work, I love Sam's stuff too.
    This one's an off the charts bloodletter.
    Killer damascus, killer handle, WOW !
    Congrats !
    Thanks for posting it up, Joe !

Doug

8. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    In the words of my good friend and golfing buddy, Crocodile Dundee.......Now, that's a knife! The leather looks equally spectacular. Did Berno make the sheath?...or do I have the names mixed up. I met the sheath maker at Sam's table at blade, but only had a short time to visit so I may have gotten the name wrong, but it's damned good work, whoever.

Paul

9. nikoknife48

nikoknife48 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Great story, great knife!

10. Burl Source

Burl Source

Dec 7, 2008
    WOW!!!!
    Amazing knife!

11. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    The sheath is made by Gustaaf van Bellegem.

12. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    That is SERIOUSLY Badass!!

13. Berno

Berno

Dec 9, 2009
    No Paul, I make Sam's site, photos sometimes, but no leather...

But I shall like to try with Gustaaf as professor...:cool:

Your wood is well to it...

HuraK ;)

14. JAlexander

JAlexander

Oct 16, 2003
    Wow. Just... Wow.

15. Berno

Berno

Dec 9, 2009
    Last year, almost at the same time I had taken this photo. Always a "Tsavo"...

[​IMG]

16. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    I got the email too. ;)

This knife is Absolutely Fantastic!!!!!!!

17. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    DAYUMN!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is a STUNNER!!!

The evidence of the Knight/DesRosier influence is definitely there, IMHO. :thumbup:

This is, to me anyway, a great example that the lines, colors, and contours of a knife are what really, truly make it grab your attention. The elements of this knife are "basic" compared to some out there... yet you would be extremely hard pressed to find a better looking knife. All because of Sam's ability to meld smooth flowing lines, great color combinations, and super appealing curves.

AWESOME. :cool:

18. pap11y

pap11y

Jul 4, 2012
    I agree thats a very special knife.. Beautiful execution of knife and sheath.

WOW..

19. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    Fantastic Knife & Sheath......Really!

Steve
    -----------
    Potomac Forge
    W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

20. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I agree Joe, absolutely amazing Fighter and Sheath.
    The owner must be extremely pleased.