Same ol proble :( PICS included

Hi there folks
Everytime im attaching an axe helve it goes left or right. Everytime i cant keep it straight along with the helve :(
Whats the problem? Is the handle unsymmetrical? Here are a few pics of my polish mining axe (the helve is shaped like for a pick or a pickaxe).
Notice both handle and the axe are curved left.
zdjcie1458.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
zdjcie1457.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Thats how it looks like when the handle is perpendicular to me and has the narrower side straight up.
zdjcie1456i.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
It's hard to tell without seeing the eye. Is your head twisted? Was the handle straight before hanging it?

Yes, the handle was straight.
The eye is wider in the upper part and narrower in the lower one.

wood and metal are not perfect. plenty of variables involved in making a Hickory handle and the axe heads are mass produced.

i re-profiled an old axe head and mounted it on a pre-used handle. i thought the handle was perfectly straight ( the reason i re-used it) when i hung it. not!!! i never noticed it till i took a swing with it. nothing i could do about it but use it or take it apart, thus ruining the handle so i used it the way it was. the axe head was very sharp and had a nice shape.
unless you want to scrap the handle you might as well see if it will cut properly and use it as is.

you'll gain experience every time you hang a bit. i'm glad i actually saw an old timer hang an axe.

buzz

As you can see in the photos i have damaged the helve (ok the handle of an axe is called a helve or just a handle?) (a shrapnel came off) while hammering it to fit the axe.
I could have left the helve as it was but i thought "damn, am i f... retarded? Can't i thin a lil bit the handle and attach it properly?...". Now im going out to buy a new handle. To be continued ...

Sure looks to me like the bit is a little crooked, but could be just the angle of the pic. I wouldn't worry to much about it being off a little on such an old piece. Sorry the handle got messed up on you :(.

Just bought a new helve. Its the only with the proper grain structure. But, every rose has its thorns ...
The helve is slightly bent and a bit too thick for the axe.
Its made of acacia.

Edit: Here goes the same problem ...
I think that the differences in the eye shape and the helve shape are causing the blade to bend in any way.
Here are some pictures (notices the unsymmetrical spaces between the eye and the helve).

Last edited:
Sure looks to me like the bit is a little crooked....

Kurt has it right. The bit isn't aligned with the eye. Not your fault that it won't hang straight. If you can live with it then use it as is. Otherwise you'll need to find properly forged head. If it's a family heirloom or something then see if you can find a local blacksmith to straighten it.

Its not important to. Its not a heirloom sth like that. This mining axe is just a lil bit rare and i thought it'd nice to add this one to my collection. I want it to be usable (u know sudden zombie attack or a wild penguin ;))

Back