Sanrenmu 7010 vs CRKT Drifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politics, legalities and intellectual property factors aside, these two knives appear to be pretty similar in terms of materials, design and price point.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them ?

Thanks in advance

don't support clones, the 7010 is clearly a crk clone

Politics, legalities and intellectual property factors aside, these two knives appear to be pretty similar in terms of materials, design and price point.

Thanks in advance

What else is "pretty similar" to that SanRenMu is a Sebenza. The CRKT does not seem to be "obvious" so I would go with that one.

As I have an actual Sebenza, I don't see a need to purchase a counterfeit of it nor would I support a company who sells clones. So, in this comparison, that leaves the CRKT.

I have all three knives, SRM, CRKT, and CRK. From a utility standpoint they're all about the same. I wouldn't say any of them cuts any better than the others. The drifter is a recurve, which obviously gives you more belly but also possibly more sharpening headache, unless you have a rod system like the sharpmaker or something similar.

Of the three, even if it doesn't cut any better, the CRK feels nicer, in that tight but smooth sort of CRK way. All three feel very similar in hand, about the same dimensions and weight and construction. My 710 came with a slightly messed up edge grind near the tip (you can see it in the photos) but it also showed up sharper than the CRKT. The clips on the SRM and CRKT are tip down (boo!) but the CRK can be clipped in the proper direction.

I don't have my small Sebenza handy, because I sent it out to have a paper micarta scale made for it, but here are the SRM 710 and CRKT Drifter next to each other (shot this on my phone just now):

lgvUW8m.jpg

Of course, before I forget to mention it, you shouldn't buy the evil clone. Get the drifter if you're choosing between the two--they're probably made in the same factory anyway . . .

clon? quien le hace la drifter a crkt?
quien le hace la cryo a Kershaw?
si, ya sabeis quien...

I have all three knives, SRM, CRKT, and CRK. From a utility standpoint they're all about the same. I wouldn't say any of them cuts any better than the others. The drifter is a recurve, which obviously gives you more belly but also possibly more sharpening headache, unless you have a rod system like the sharpmaker or something similar.

Of the three, even if it doesn't cut any better, the CRK feels nicer, in that tight but smooth sort of CRK way. All three feel very similar in hand, about the same dimensions and weight and construction. My 710 came with a slightly messed up edge grind near the tip (you can see it in the photos) but it also showed up sharper than the CRKT. The clips on the SRM and CRKT are tip down (boo!) but the CRK can be clipped in the proper direction.

I don't have my small Sebenza handy, because I sent it out to have a paper micarta scale made for it, but here are the SRM 710 and CRKT Drifter next to each other (shot this on my phone just now):

lgvUW8m.jpg

Of course, before I forget to mention it, you shouldn't buy the evil clone. Get the drifter if you're choosing between the two--they're probably made in the same factory anyway . . .

Made in the same factory at the very least. Possibly even a rebranded Sanrenmu. Take a look at the Sanrenmu 707 to see what I mean.

Thanks in advance

That's not how this works...

What else is "pretty similar" to that SanRenMu is a Sebenza. The CRKT does not seem to be "obvious" so I would go with that one.

You can buy a Chinese branded Drifter. SRM or Enlan or whoever makes it for CRKT, and it is cheaper with out the CRKT name. But yes, go with the one that isn't a known borrowed design.

OP here.

Well, I'd like to express my thanks to evilgreg whose post answered all my questions.

" I have all three knives, SRM, CRKT, and CRK. From a utility standpoint they're all about the same. I wouldn't say any of them cuts any better than the others. ...All three feel very similar in hand, about the same dimensions and weight and construction."

I like the SRM/ CRK design a little better than the Drifter design so I'm sure you folks will be able to guess which of these three knives I will be purchasing. By the way the legal blade length limit in Boston is 2.5 inches, so I would never spend over $100 on a knife with a blade length exceeding that length because I couldn't use it in my community, just at home. So no small Sebenza for me until I retire and move to New Hampshire or Florida.

Thanks to all who offered opinions.

Last edited:
OP here.

Well, I'd like to express my thanks to evilgreg whose post answered all my questions.

" I have all three knives, SRM, CRKT, and CRK. From a utility standpoint they're all about the same. I wouldn't say any of them cuts any better than the others. ...All three feel very similar in hand, about the same dimensions and weight and construction."

I like the SRM/ CRK design a little better than the Drifter design so I'm sure you folks will be able to guess which of these three knives I will be purchasing. By the way the legal blade length limit in Boston is 2.5 inches, so I would never spend over $100 on a knife with a blade length exceeding that.

Thanks to all who offered opinions.

Just a heads up, both the Drifter and the 710 in my picture above are a bit over 2.5" (police will use from the end of the handle to the tip of the blade, usually, not the sharpened length) so you'd need to mod them to make them safe options.

When I'm trying to carry legal in Chicago or Boston (I end up in both cities semi-regularly) my favorite knives are the Spyderco Cat (~$40) and Cold Steel Tuff Lite (~$28), FWIW.

Sanrenmu makes knives for CRKT, Boker, Kershaw, Benchmade (used to), Schrade, Spyderco, and various others. Spyderco being the only one who uses their own designs 100% of the time.

Sanrenmu has a catalog of existing designs they can pick from. This is why you see the same knives offered.

I like the SRM/ CRK design a little better than the Drifter design so I'm sure you folks will be able to guess which of these three knives I will be purchasing. By the way the legal blade length limit in Boston is 2.5 inches, so I would never spend over $100 on a knife with a blade length exceeding that.

So you like the CRK Sebenza design more then the Drifter design, but you dont want to spend more than $100, so you will get the sub $100 SRM that ripped the Sebenza design off.

To each is own, I guess.

There are plenty of non-ripped off knives under 2.5" in blade length for less than $100. Even some made by SRM for cheap. I guess I don't get it :confused:

There are plenty of non-ripped off knives under 2.5" in blade length for less than $100. Even some made by SRM for cheap. I guess I don't get it :confused:
I should have clarified. For a knife with a blade length of under the Boston limit of 2.5", I would pay over $100, perhaps way over $100, if I like it. Right now I'm looking at customs and Three Rivers For example.

But for a knife that I could use at home but really nowhere else in my communityy, no way I'm paying that much. I hope that clarifies my knife buying strategy.

Last edited:
I should have clarified. For a knife with a blade length of under the Boston limit of 2.5", I would pay over $100, perhaps way over $100, if I like it. Right now I'm looking at customs and Three Rivers For example.

But for a knife that I could use a home but really nowhere else in my vicinity, no way I'm paying that much. I hope that clarifies my knife buying strategy.

But for over 2.5 inches, you would not pay more than $100 and would prefer to buy a....how to put it..."tribute" knife. That was pretty clear.

So you like the CRK Sebenza design more then the Drifter design, but you dont want to spend more than $100, so you will get the sub $100 SRM that ripped the Sebenza design off.

To each is own, I guess.

Why should I spend that much money for a knife that I could use in my own home but not outside my home? I am quite willing to spend larger sums of money on knives that are legal in my community. For example I'm currently looking at the Dice and the Three Rivers LTC, and customs with blades under 2.5"

Why should I spend that much money for a knife that I could use in my own home but not outside my home? I am quite willing to spend larger sums of money on knives that are legal in my community. For example I'm currently looking at the Dice and the Three Rivers LTC, and customs with blades under 2.5"

im a huge fan of Three Rivers Mfg. i own a BT1000CF and its a work of art, high quality uses cpm-154 steel with titanium lock site and carbon fiber show side. excellent milling on them.

The nomad and there flipper version of it are top notch also, i dont own one atm tho. if you need legal in your state, i do believe they will qualify. if you need two hand opening the nomad is excellent. people balk at the prices, but your getting a high quality product that will perform well. id rather pay the prices than buy anything from crkt or sanenmu but... thats just me, ive bought enough junk to know what i really like. im not rich, but i know how to save money.

Just a heads up, both the Drifter and the 710 in my picture above are a bit over 2.5" (police will use from the end of the handle to the tip of the blade, usually, not the sharpened length) so you'd need to mod them to make them safe options.

When I'm trying to carry legal in Chicago or Boston (I end up in both cities semi-regularly) my favorite knives are the Spyderco Cat (~$40) and Cold Steel Tuff Lite (~$28), FWIW.

Right now my Boston knives are my Dragonfly or one of my SAKs. I'm looking at the Dice or the Three Rivers LTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back