Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

I had a Sharp Finger many years ago. It was riding in my possibles bag when I fell in the snow while black powder hunting. I dumped the whole bag and the 152 was missed when I was picking possibles up. I really need to get another! Is the Bear an identical copy as far as the dimensions go?

Hi StickbowVA! Of the domestic copycats that came along after Schrade closed, the Bear MGC is the one I haven't picked up yet to coonfinger and chickeneye. It appears in pictures to be the same size and I've heard that the sheaths will interchange. Quality? I've heard it both ways. But the good news is that if a Schrade U.S.A. Sharpfinger is what you want, and you know what to look for, they are pretty easy to find at reasonable prices in whatever condition you like. There is information in this thread to help guide you through a minefield of Chinese copies made by the new owner of the names. Or they can be had dirt cheap if that would satisfy you. Prices of the real ones vary now from $20 to $100 depending on condition, packaging etc. Let us know if you need help with identification.

I have stalked a few on ebay but haven't gotten lucky yet. I'll pass on the new models. I bought a couple when Taylor brought them out thinking I was getting the real thing, boy did I get fooled.

I am a big fan of NY Schrade knives and have used them since I was a kid. I really like the LB7 and LB8. I have been picking up a few of my favorites when I find them like the 77OT. I heard that when you find something that you like you better buy two because they will quit making it.

I found this forum doing searches for Sharp Finger info. This thread has been a big help. I really like this site, thanks for all the info!

... Notice anything different about this one?
311l34x.png

2n7p507.png

...If the above knife, box and paper is as appears, it will be my earliest so far...

..Having looked at thousands of examples of these knives for years now, and having bought quite a few, this is the first time I have found one in the sliptop gift box mentioned in the first catalog appearance, 1973. It otherwise meets most of the criteria of tang stamp text style, sheath construction and brochure style. No included sharpening stone is seen in the auction photos. But neither is a sheath polybag or blade sleeve. Are they in the box? Were they once there but now lost or discarded? Does the box have a cardboard or vac formed insert, flocked or not? I'm pretty sure the sheath thong is a subsequent owner alteration and I can fix that. And the knife grunge should clean up nicely.

It is and it is. The latest knife in the quadfold steamboat brochure is "The New Sharp Finger". The honesteel illustration still shows Schrade Walden markings and the 15OT is still called "Hunter". Bingo!

Here is another recent "me too" Sharpfinger copy that I ran across. Sold by Puma and available from some big retailers at near the pricepoint of the TBLLC knives, they are made from 440A "German stainless steel" with micarta handles and assembled in China.

fjp4ir.png

I have no idea of quality of materials, fit and finish. I do find it odd that they actually call this a "Sharpfinger" (note the etch - I've not seen the packaging) as that is a copyrighted trade name which was part of the I.P. acquired by Taylor at the Schrade auction in 2004.

The VW I had wouldn't make much of a Coke can, much less a knife. Besides more VWs are from Mexico than Germany.

My first real 152 arrived today. The description said it was never sharpened and very dull and they weren't lying! Its a very good feeling knife. It's nice to finally have the real thing!

My first real 152 arrived today. The description said it was never sharpened and very dull and they weren't lying! Its a very good feeling knife. It's nice to finally have the real thing!

Is the feel of the handle profile noticibly different to you?

Much better than one made from the closeout blade. I see using a combo of my LB8, 154, 152, and the 160 for most of my hunting chores going forward but I'll always have a Case Trapper in my pocket ;)

The list of "me too" imported Sharpfingers seems to never end. This is the latest, a Colt CT327 from China.

16gwhgm.png

Of course the trademark has nothing to do with Colt Firearms. It is owned by Smoky Mountain Knife Works and the retail is $19.99. So it may be seen in other SMKW brandings as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all on the Schrade forum for their friendship and to wish you all the very best in this special time of the year; here is an image of an old knife from a great old company and I guess that is my Christmas card to you all.

I've mentioned earlier in this thread that among the very first "me too" Sharpfinger patterns after Schrade's closing was the Camillus' GP152 Gran-Pa "Sharp Hunter" knife.

2s7ungg.png

Well they also made an updated version in their Camillus Western line. The BM32 Buckmasters Clip Blade, partially serrated with Kraton molded handle, 420 stainless blade and nylon sheath.

2czvpcj.png

2ezn2ia.png

There is a reason that everyone wants to copy the design. It is the best, most minimalist design of a fixed blade ever. I don't believe that the Sharpfinger will ever be equalled for an all around hunting knife.

Kin ye skin a bar pilgrim? Scoot ahead to 7:39 to see the hunter's Schrade Sharpfinger. He does use colorful language so if tender ears are around, you may want to mute the sound or watch it later.

[video=youtube;w14zq-xL16g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w14zq-xL16g[/video]

Here is the Bear version that has shown up here :D

For what it cost it's very good bang for the buck. The best part is it's made in the USA.

I've been tempted a time or two but never bought one. As best I remember, these came out at about the same time the Camillus version did, circa 2006. Taylor got his set up and imported some time in 2005. I also seem to remember that they had the Pakistanis in the flea markets here before those. I bought one for $2-$5 just to compare. In fact I just dug it out to look at it again for the first time in a long time. The box says stainless steel, but there are blobs of crunchy rust blossoms on it. I pulled out the Carolina Knife and Tool "Winchester" too. It is a China made knockoff of the 152OTX which was stillborn but can be seen in the '04 catalog. It has a decent looking cordura sheath that the real Sharpfinger will fit in.

The Bear sheath looks good from here. Do a comparison with the real Sharpfinger and tell us how they compare?

The knives are very similar in dimensions.

Measuring with dial calipers the major difference is the Schrade scales are .05" thicker than the Bears. Notice there is no lanyard hole in the Bear. I have never used a lanyard on knife so this isn't a problem for me.

I bowhunted early this morning and had the Bear on my belt. I did see 7 deer and managed to push them by my waiting brother who proceeded to miss with his muzzle loader. I was really hoping to do some skinning with it today :(

I have two bucks hanging on my gambrel out back tonight. I'll probably use my Ryan Weeks SPK custom on one and my stock Sharpfinger on the other one to see how they compare.

Back