SEARS Hatchet, maker ?

Hi all,

I've been slowing down (well, a little) buying Axes and Hatchets unless they are in good to very good condition and IN-expensive. Today, I found a very nice condition SEARS Hatchet. It measures 14" from top of Head to bottom of (Fawn's foot) handle. Blade edge is 3" and the lenght of Head is 5.5 inches long. The Hatchet is marked:

SEARS
= USA-M =

The Hatchet head is painted Black. The handle has nice grain and is marked on one side

FORGED STEEL
(four digits) I can't read. Followed by : 1 1/4 lb.

I must say, this appears to be a VERY nice lil' well made Hatchet! I very much like the shape of the Head. It does however feel just a tad heavy with the 11.5" of exposed handle. I'd of love to have seen this Hatchet with a 1 pound head. Nevertheless, a very cool lil' Hatchet. Might anyone here have any idea who made SEARS Hatchets ? Thanks.

Regards,
HARDBALL

That may be a more recently made hatchet. M means Mexico I believe. Older Sears hatchets were marked Craftsman.

I'm not sure about hatchets but in their tool lines they used the Craftsman name for their top shelf stuff and the Sears name for their 2nd line stuff. At one time they had their own axe plant. The old Craftsman axes are I've found are pretty good - oval stamp and double oval stamp. I don't care for the newer flat-cheeked Craftsman axes.

Hi guys,

Arrrrrr, I sure hope this is NOT a "Made in Mexico" Hatchet. Heck, I would of hoped that the words SEARS USA would mean "made in USA" but, perhaps not. Ummmm "M" for Mexico maybe.
Oooh well, at any rate, it is a nice lil' Hatchet (and cost me less than a cup of fancy Coffee). SQ, one would think that CRAFTSMAN Axes would be all over the place but, I have yet to find/see a single one
(and I've hit a LOT of Flea Markets, Yard Sales, Junk Shops, Thrift Stores, Antique Shops, etc). I have now collect about thirty Axes/Hatchets, a few Picks and several old Carbon Butcher Knives.
I'm running out of play/toy money so, I'm really having to (pardon the pun) "cut back" on buying. I'm mostly now looking for the old Butcher Knives on the cheap. Thanks for the info guys.

Regards,
HARDBALL

Hardball,
One of my first auction site screw-ups on axes was a "Vintage NOS Collins Axe with Paper Label" after losing a few close biddings I just jumped on it. Pics looked good... got here and has INDIA stamped on bottom of pol and really thick sidewalls along eye!!!!!!!! Clumsy chunk of steel on a stick cut from a board.

Live and learn, it will be a loaner and for splitting wood/driving wedges. Use it when you want to save your good ones or for loaning to your annoying neighbor. ;)
Bill

Hi Bill,

Man, that's quite a story on that Vintage (Indian) Collins Axe. I would of been pretty bummed out. As far as this SEARS Hatchet goes, heck, I still don't know for sure if it is truly made in Mexico or not. I'll have to dig/research deeper to find out. At any rate, even if it is a "made in Mexico" Hatchet, it appears to be very nicely made. I still think the Head is a bit too much weight for it's handle length. Compared to my (a REAL bargain) "Flea Market" find this past Summer
(an "As new/NOS" circa 1990's Granfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet w/curved handle) it's a lil' bit too heavy imho. The GB on the other hand weights in at 1.5 lbs. including sheath and feels great in the hand whereas the SEARS is closer to two pounds (without a sheath). I can't loose sleep over this SEARS as it wasn't too expensive. I must say Bill, I agree with you, this is one Hatchet I will not be afraid to use.

Regards,
HARDBALL aka Tom

Last edited:
The Stanley hatchets and axes with the M were made in el Mexico. Sears however I am not sure. It might have been, though it would depend on the time era.

Wonder if the M meant Mann...??

Steve will tell us.

Whoa! Vaughan eh ? (per Mr. Burns......Exxxxceeeel-lent!). I don't know if Vaughan is quite as desirable as say a vintage Norlund, Collins, Plumb etc. but, I figure it's got to be better than a Mexico made Hatchet! Yep, I'm pumped! I just KNEW this was a nicely made lil' Hatchet as it just "feels" quality made (despite being imho a bit heavy). I do however suspect that it'll be one heck of a chopper for such a compact Hatchet given that lil' extra weight of this Hatchet's Head.
No problem Halfaxe. In fact, heading South to Mexico only to come back to the good ol' USA is fine in my book!
Ah! Two bucks for a Vaughan Hatchet! Ya gotta LOVE Garage Sales! Thanks for checking Op.

Regards,
HARDBALL

First post to blade forums, I was wanting to know if anyone had any information on the manufacturer of an axe stamped SEARS. The axe is a Kelly perfect pattern with the phantom bevel to decrease drag. The axe also has a metal wedge I'm not sure if it came from factory or not.
IMG_0893_zps7rrjzlsc.jpg

Back