• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sellers Beware of DZLVS8 Steve Kondel

Status
Not open for further replies.
"When the satin blade came in, I realized that it wouldn't fit. So I decided to sell the knife you sold me."

"When I bought the knife I let it sit in my drawer until a new satin blade came in and I didn't like that detent with a satin blade."

Which is it Steve?

In my experience with Micarta, it starts to discolour just from handling it. It reacts with any oil, sweat, etc, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You can clean it. There are various ways to do that, but I have never been able to get it back to 'perfect' that's just Micarta.

Besides that, the buyer had the knife for 3 weeks. He ordered a new blade for it, and tried a swap.
Both of these facts make it his knife, I think that's just common sense.

As said already, just put a well organized case together for PP, and I don't see how they would not decide in your favour, unless they are blindly pro buyer.

Please keep us updated, as how PP views this effects us all.....

Thanks.

I agree that I had the knife for 20 sum days but I havent used the knife or anything. Let the record stand that Chen is a liar that tries to sell knives and lie about their conditions . The way that the scales actually are was hidden from me. It took weeks for the discoloration to slowly show back up from the oil drying. Chen is a VERY dishonest seller. Nothing about snail trials, the blade being a user, or anything else means that hey lookel the scales are messed up and I his that in the pictures by oiling up the knife.

Like I said, the knife is i n the same condition as it was when I received it minus the screwed up scales. CHEN should deal with his knife. I can't resell it in the same condition he made it appear to be in unless I want to be dishonest.

...or is it OK to oil up the scales and not make any mention of the gross discoloration of the scales? If that's the case, shoot, I guess I will lie about the knife and take new pictures. Hahaha. I won't be doing that. Chen is going to get his knife back.

If someone buys a known user and a micarta one at that.......im missing the problem? Yeah i watched the video and looked at the pics....im not seeing the problem?

Canvas Micarta is not the problem. It does what it does, and it can absorb blood, oil, water, anything liquid. I've had knives with Micarta handles that look really bad after just a single day of use in the desert. No big deal, it cleans up with some soap, water, and a toothbrush. The issue is:

Buyers:
Need to ask any and all questions prior to committing to the purchase. If you aren't sure, move along don;t test drive here.
Should ask for as many pictures as necessary to satisfy their inquiry, BEFORE buying anything.
Need to make the seller aware IMMEDIATELY if the item is not as described. If not, do NOT tinker with it or attempt to "fix" anything unless you want to keep that item. This has been pretty clear for years and years now, but some are slow learners I guess.

Sellers:
Describe everything that can be considered a flaw, in detail.
Describe the overall condition of the item honestly and accurately. Don't try and sweeten it up, you will regret it later.
Provide pictures of damage, scratches, marring, etc.
State your terms CLEARLY so there can be NO misunderstandings later on.
Keep your communications after the deal is done, verify in writing that the buyer is satisfied.

I don't know why the exited thread said "710 withdrawn" it was never for sale in any of the threads that I merged. That just makes mattes look worse. Honesty is the ONLY policy here.

Original sale post from chenn

First up is a lightly carried tad dauntless mk1 full TI handles and stonewashed blade. Comes with tad black box, smooth, centered and tight lock up.

Asking 385 Net

Second up is A Emerson mini cqc 7 Po boy conversion by Nathawut, everything has been redone on this knife. Thicker Ti liner lock and scale, Ti bolsters, micarta scales and back spacer. Knife rides on bronze washers and is so much smoother than stock. Knifes has been carried and snail trails on ti. Edged has been sharpened in wicked edge and is very sharp.
asking $260 net

Please pay by PayPal gift or add 3.5%
Shipped to US address only.

View attachment 511970View attachment 511971View attachment 511972View attachment 511973

"Please pay by PayPal gift or add 3.5%
Shipped to US address only."

Oh great. Another PayPal gift dispute. What a surprise.

So, did the buyer pay by gift? Then the seller is off the hook. As he should be.

"Please pay by PayPal gift or add 3.5%
Shipped to US address only."

Oh great. Another PayPal gift dispute. What a surprise.

So, did the buyer pay by gift? Then the seller is off the hook. As he should be.

I doubt he did or there would be no dispute.

Once you alter a knife (IE take it apart) it is yours. I don't know how paypal will side in this as they generally side with the buyer. That said, the buyer has done irreclaimable harm to his reputation here.

You got a hell of a deal for that knife than try to flip it for a $100 more. You dissembled the knife and tinkered with it trying to do a blade swap on a custom
modded knife and wait 3 weeks to than file a paypal dispute. Wow.....talk about low character. You should be banned right now.

And whats up with editing your sales thread to making it seem like you were selling a Benchmade 710

Woops. I'm looking to buy a benchmade 710. I was copying and pasting.

#2 I wanted three weeks because it took that long for the oil to dry. Duh oil doesn't instantly dry. You can see in my for sale pictures that the knife still didn't look that BSD on the presentation side. It wasn't until this week when I shot the video that it started looming really bad.

Chen hasn't helped himself out either. I just ask that everyone look at the video of the actual knife and the pictures and dewscriptio. That Chen wrote up on the original sales thread. There's nothing I'm worried about. I'm not doing anything dishonest. Chen on the other hand....I think what he did is super shady. I don't like the title of this thread since it has my name in it, but I do like that everyone can now see how sneaky his sales tactics are. I don't care if I took the knife apart of not, I shouldn't have to keep a knife that is this grossly represented. It looks like garbage. It looks nothing like his pics. Chenn did describe the knife as a user but I feel that a user knife should not imply that the seller is hiding the actual conditon of the micarta scales. The knife looks like total crap. The snail trails are one thing and I've spoke with nathawut and he said he could RR bead blast the scales. The micarta was not something I was expecting to be ruinined or discolored like that based on the description or the pics. I describe my knives that I sell accurately. Chen needs to learn the same and buyers hopefully will be weary of his tactics and ask LOTS of questions that you usually wouldn't have to ask after seeing pictures. You shouldn't have to ask someone "did you do something to the scales that hide their actual condition?". That's ridiculous.

Can you tell me in one sentence what the seller did that was dishonest?

I'm not a Micarta guy, and I agree the scales look a tad worse in the video you took compared to the sales thread where it was posted. I really think this is a trivial difference, but I guess for some it is worse for others. I thought people bought knives described as 'users' so they could USE them, not flip them for a big profit, but I'm not one to judge.

What I see as a problem is that you took the knife apart and tried to fit a different blade to it, then resell it for quite a bit more (not judging, just observing) and then took it down when it wasn't selling. ONLY THEN did you open a paypal dispute with the seller, claiming you didn't get the knife you thought you were getting. I understand that IF the seller did in fact use some form of cover-up for the micarta that wore off over time, that it would take a while for you to realize it was not in as good a shape as you thought it was. BUT, you did try to modify it, and then sell it, and THEN you came to the seller with a complaint.

Whether or not the knife was as described, you basically made it your own by tinkering with it and then attempting to sell it. I don't think the seller is liable for anything now that you've done that, and the more you talk about it the more you're repeating yourself, which isn't really helping your case.

Forum rules dictate that the knife is yours now, I suggest you make it yours and, if you don't want it, try reselling it for what you got it for, not $90 more.

The buyer had the knife for 3 weeks, disassembled it and tried to replace the blade, then tried unsuccessfully to resell it at a profit. Then, after all that, he contacts the buyer demanding a refund. All of this is agreed to by both parties.

In my opinion, there is a lot wrong with the buyers behavior. As I see it, the buyer owns the knife and the seller owes him nothing. Furthermore, the buyer was either less than forthcoming (I am being polite here) about the condition of the knife when he tried to re-sell it for a profit claiming it is was "like new condition," or is being less than honest about the condition of the scales when he received the knife. Regardless of how you look at it, the buyer is exhibiting behavior that does not conform with the ethics of "The Knife Exchange."

Good luck, Chen. I hope that PayPal sees it the way the majority (all?) of the posters to this thread see it and rules in your favor.

Last edited:
Oh, NOs! The micarta got dry! What ever will I do!

Micarta will do that. Especially if you wash it. It will get darker if you rub it with your hands. Or with oil. Or a light wax. (I usually don't oil mine, I just handle and use it and darkens right up).

I've found that most smooth micarta comes from the maker or manufacturer with a light shiny layer of a waxy substance. Normally from a quick buff.

The first hot water and soap scrub I give them normally gets rid of that layer.

I've had a lot of micarta, and when I get it bloody, or messy, and scrub it, it gets exactly like that.

Super easy to fix.

To the OP. I hope that Pay Pal does not refund this guy. From looking at the photo's and description, you made a righteous sell.

To the buyer, I'll just add you to the list of people to avoid dealing with. You received the knife advertised. It was a user, and described as such, with the snail trails in the pics. The knife arrived. You took it apart. Tried to swap a blade. You own that sucker. Enjoy it. It is a knife I would enjoy owning. I could darken those scales for you in about 10 seconds. It is a non issue. Put you big boy pants on and withdraw that paypal dispute. try to mitigate the damage here.

But you are going to do what you want, no matter what any of us say.

Last edited:
I gotta tell you, this one takes the cake!! If it was "grossly misrepresented" it took you three weeks to mention it???

simply appalling

PAW

Woops. I'm looking to buy a benchmade 710. I was copying and pasting.

#2 I wanted three weeks because it took that long for the oil to dry. Duh oil doesn't instantly dry. You can see in my for sale pictures that the knife still didn't look that BSD on the presentation side. It wasn't until this week when I shot the video that it started looming really bad.

Chen hasn't helped himself out either. I just ask that everyone look at the video of the actual knife and the pictures and dewscriptio. That Chen wrote up on the original sales thread. There's nothing I'm worried about. I'm not doing anything dishonest. Chen on the other hand....I think what he did is super shady. I don't like the title of this thread since it has my name in it, but I do like that everyone can now see how sneaky his sales tactics are. I don't care if I took the knife apart of not, I shouldn't have to keep a knife that is this grossly represented. It looks like garbage. It looks nothing like his pics. Chenn did describe the knife as a user but I feel that a user knife should not imply that the seller is hiding the actual conditon of the micarta scales. The knife looks like total crap. The snail trails are one thing and I've spoke with nathawut and he said he could RR bead blast the scales. The micarta was not something I was expecting to be ruinined or discolored like that based on the description or the pics. I describe my knives that I sell accurately. Chen needs to learn the same and buyers hopefully will be weary of his tactics and ask LOTS of questions that you usually wouldn't have to ask after seeing pictures. You shouldn't have to ask someone "did you do something to the scales that hide their actual condition?". That's ridiculous.

If I were you....

I would apologize to the seller, and leave it at that, and hope you didnt scare off a lot of people from ever doing business with you.

I sure wont buy from or sell to you at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back