1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sharp brand knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by frankenfish, Sep 13, 2011.

1. frankenfish

frankenfish

Aug 24, 2011
    Years ago my step moms uncle gave me this knife. I couldn't find much info on the brand or the knife specifically. All i know its really old, has seen A LOT of action, and has held up great. it may look a little grimy but that's my fault (sliced through frozen bait mackerel like nothin) it cleans up great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    K-Mart house brand back in the '80s. I believe the blades were 440C, the knives were generally well-made if more than a little heavy. Some of them were wonderfully ugly, but servicable.

3. dead-eye

dead-eye

Apr 17, 2010
    OMG. I can't believe there's actually another Sharp fan on this board. I used to work at Kmart and bought a very well made (and heavy) model for about $10. It's actually in a sheath next to the bed. I'll clean it up and post pics.

4. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I have a sharp Barlow. The blade doesnt close tight . It always cut good.

5. Josh Mason

Josh Mason KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 15, 2011
    I had a guy give me an extraordinarily ugly Sharp brand knife to sharpen for him. I believe this one was made in Japan, and had a really nice thin factory edge. It got amazingly sharp.

6. ncpat

ncpat

Feb 10, 2013
    I got my dad a Sharp brand sheath knife from K Mart about the early 80's, for his fishing box. Paid about $10 and still have it today. I foolishly let the tackle box sit in the rain for several months and got a tad of rust on the blade, nicking the edge a little. But it cleaned up fairly well & I will use it for years to come. The sheath was mildewy. I cut the stitches out, cleaned it up best I could with saddle soap, twice. Air dried, then rubbed all over with Bear Grease. Restitched after it dried. Darkened the leather a few shades but I think it will hold up now.

7. ncpat

ncpat

Feb 10, 2013
    It is good to find a decent product at a reasonable price. Doesn't always happen. Is Sharp still being made?

8. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    Nope, the last Sharp brand knives I saw in Kmart were around mid 1990's ish. As mentioned they mainly sourced knives from Japan, and sometimes from Colonial of Rhode Island. As mentioned, pretty good knives for the money.

9. tmbgcm64

tmbgcm64

Apr 17, 2015
    I have one the Sharp hunting knives in a leather sheath had it forever few scratches on it hardly ever used it still really nice looking [[​IMG]