1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sharpening my BK7

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by OlDutch, Jun 23, 2012.

1. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    although I have quite a bit of experience using knives of all sorts, I have pretty limited experience when it comes to proper sharpening techniques. I am wondering what would be the main things I should pick up? I'm guessing some kind of 2 sided stone and a small strop? I would prefer something I can put in my bag for camping. If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

2. RRR1977

RRR1977

Jun 2, 2011
    In the field I only carry a Lansky fine stone, or a DMT 600 grit card for touch ups. I dont worry about anything more fine than that.

3. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    alright, well what about for at home, should I just buy a decent stone of some sort? I want something that I can put a good edge on some of my blades that are getting dull, I really like the bk14 I got yesterday but I was slightly disappointed with the edge on it, not very sharp out of the box. My BK7 was pretty good out of the box, but could probably still be even better. My local knife shop sells some stones by Boker, should I pick up a set of these? http://www.srknives.com/product_detail.php?pid=1979? they come in 600/1000/1500 or they have a combination stone that is 800/6000

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Dutch, KME sharpeners are what I use, it works on every blade I own, up to 9". After that, I use a Puck.

It will reprofile, works with every blade shape, and you can use multiple different stones from many makers, EZLap, DMT, Lansky, Norton, and the list goes on.

Check them out.

Moose

5. Stark Knives

Stark Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2010
    I use a belt sander. I just love the way convex edges look. :)

Erd

6. cjr7

cjr7

Mar 26, 2012
    At home I use the work sharp knife and tool sharpener followed by stropping. It works for me.

7. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    Hey Moose I like the look of that, and I don't own any blades over 9" so that won't be a problem. I checked their list of dealers and nothing in my province, is there a good site I could order it from? Also is it the same thing as the Lansky sharpening system? looks very similar and I can buy that one locally. http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp12/lansky.pdf in the top left of this page

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  8. JES600

JES600

Apr 29, 2012
    I use these two thingies made by Smith's. Very inexpensive. The little thing has a carbide "V" and a finishing ceramic "V". I use that if I've nicked or otherwise done bad to my edge. Or if it's a super-dull knife. But there's no way this provides a great edge on it's own. It also has a diamond-impregnated fold-out rod for serrated edges.

The bigger thing also has a ceramic "V", as well as two white ceramic rods that fit into the body of the device such that you're provided with a 20 degree angle. The rods have surfaces for straight as well as serrated edges. It also has an interrupted diamond-impregnated surface as shown in the second picture. There's even an un-interrupted portion for sharpening hooks or fine sharpening work. This all fits into the body as shown in the first pic for portability.

Both are very portable. And can be had for under $30 total at most sporting goods stores. Sure you can get better stuff and spend more, but I've made this work on all my knives to my satisfaction. And it was immediately available. I needed immediate sharpening that day.

That said, my next step up will be per cjr7. A work sharp sharpener and a strop. All in time.

Sorry for the poor photo quality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I've used the Sharpmaker, paper wheels, and belt sanders. I vary between those depending on what kind of edge I want to put on a blade. Sharpmaker is a good starting system with wide utility.

10. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    @ JES600 that smiths 3 in 1 setup looks pretty good, and small enough to throw in my camping pack, and the natural 20 degree angle of the rods is perfect for the bk7 if i'm not mistaken. Just did a quick search and found both of those items for sale at bestbuy of all places, can pick up both for under $40, for the price I may just give it a shot before I spend big money on a fancy system.

11. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    I use a bunch of sandpaper strayed with WD-40 and strops...Since the knife has a convex edge I use the shorter strop looking thing as a backing for the sandpaper to maintain the edge angle as I kinda scrub the edge along the sandpaper working my way down the grits to about 2000 and then strop it with a homemade strop loaded with average polishing paste, then a proper one loaded with real compounds (black, white, green) and back to the polishing paste one for the final shine.

I think the grits I use are 80, 120, 180, 240, 320, 600, 1500 and 2000...The papers are a bit worn out so 80 is like 90-100 but this is for sharpening not reprofiling.

[​IMG]
    001 by CamH_16, on Flickr

12. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    thank you guys very much for all the help, this is a great forum with lots of helpful people! I think tomorrow I'll go pick up that smiths 3 in 1 that JES600 posted because its cheap and i'll try that out first, as the main thing I want is to just sharpen my knives, re-profiling is not that high on my list of priorities, but just a bonus if the option is there.

13. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    If you don't like it, I definitely recommend the Sharpmaker. I suspect the Smith's is based on that design, and it's a good one to start. Although, to be honest, a belt sander and an ultra fine hone and a strop would get you to shaving sharp pretty easily too.

14. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    went back to the bestbuy site and noticed its an online only product, oh well, placed an order and it shouldn't take to long to get it.

15. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    OlDutch,
    I have the same Smiths 3 in 1.
    I also picked up an 8" Norton med/fine stone on Ethans recomendation.
    The stone works great when sprayed with wd-40. Then I finish up with the Smiths ceramic rods.

16. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    good to know Jonny, I will definitely end up picking up a decent set of stones in the future, I'll start with this and see how it goes for now.

17. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    I could never really get a good edge with the diamond stone on the Smiths. I definately can with the Norton. Love the Smiths ceramic rods though.

18. JES600

JES600

Apr 29, 2012
    That's what everything I have gets finished with. It's like a ritual every time I feel the need. Or I just maintain existing edges that may just need a touch up. Or it's just another excuse to handle my knives. ;)

And good luck OlDutch.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  19. OlDutch

OlDutch

Jun 21, 2012
    haha I know the feeling, sometimes you just need to find something to cut up! thanks again everyone for the help, this is a very friendly forum, glad I found it :)

20. slikrickabn

slikrickabn

Aug 7, 2004
    Another plug for the Smiths. They make a yellow double ended V with metal and ceramic insterts that work really great for the field. I picked up several on sale at Kmart for less that 5$ apiece, and keep one on my field gear, as well as the BOB. They work great, and the color helps from getting lost in the field. My 2 cents...

slik