1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sharpening tips?

Discussion in 'Koyote Custom Knives' started by makey98, Sep 24, 2009.

1. makey98

makey98

Jan 25, 2006
    Hey all, just some quick questions about sharpening I was hoping to get some of your tips or techniques. I have some kind of problem sharpening knives. I practiced all the time with stone, trying everything but just haven't figured out how to sharpen multi-bevel knives. That is why I loved my lueko so much, just a quick strop and it was good to go.

Recently I have been harder on the edge and it needs a real sharpening. I have a couple mousepads with some 800/1000/1200 wet/dry sandpaper from an autostore. It seems like i can get the edge close to the handle sharp, but the tip I have some trouble with. I think this is due to the grind angle of my bushcrafter, a little wider by the handle and tapering out to the tip it seems. Should I be lifting the spine up to create MORE angle between the pad and the spine? OR should I be keeping the angle constant? When I strop I found that I could life the blade up to get all the edge sharpened, BUT I have never been able to really get it to push cut fine curls in paper. It will cut it very smooth with a little bit of drawing/slicing but never totally razor sharp. I am not really needing a razor sharp edge, just trying to learn how to get different edges. I don't have a natural instinct on this.....clearly. I am trying to work to get a razor sharp, hair cutting edge and see how that holds up, and then try a tougher edge to compare.

When I strop I find the angle by pushing the sharp edge into the leather until it catches, then using that angle and drawing back. Is this the same angle I should be using when I use the paper?

Any other tips?

2. BarberFobic1992

BarberFobic1992 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I would suggest holding the knife proportionally to the angle of the grind as the angle changes. The portion towards the handle, I am guessing, is at a more acute angle- this is probably why you are able to get it sharp up there. Just increase the angle for the steeper areas, and I think you'll get it good and sharp.

3. makey98

makey98

Jan 25, 2006
    one more thing. As a "reward" :) for following this thread, sometime very soon I will be taking some pictures of my 3 (waiting on a 4th) koyote. I have been unable to get outside to take some good ones and it has been raining for a couple days.

I have the following:
    Lueko model 1 bushcrafter with ipe handle
    Jatoba (sp?) pocket nessie
    *NEW* mammoth ivory bird and trout with vinegar patina
    Small psk in progress

4. makey98

makey98

Jan 25, 2006
    Ahh. Thanks. I was told by koyote that the edge angle towards the tip is actually wider for strength. That makes much sense. I don't know why i couldn't figure that one out! I will mess with some stuff and see how i go.

Anyone have a link for a "strop bat" by JRE?

5. C Bryant

C Bryant Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2008
  6. koyote

koyote

Mar 29, 2007
    you can also strop with sandpaper if a mousepad is too soft. I've been known to put a piece of 400 on top of a leather strop....

The strop bat is excellent because you can get some more aggressive sharpening than just a straight strop generally gives you.

A quick note- most traditional scandihoovian convex grinds I've seen are variable grind angles- which really is a sensible approach. It's one of the things that makes a convex a bit more versatile

7. koyote

koyote

Mar 29, 2007
    okay, I just went through and did dry stone sharpening on one of the 'scandi convex' profiles and it's really easy to keep the angles thin doing that. Still finish with a strop, but I just ran a coarse oxide stone and a mdeium arkansas and it's great.

I'm going to try a large ceramic rod sometime, too.