1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sharpening with a HF 1x30 belt sander

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by karnavor, Jul 14, 2008.

1. karnavor

karnavor

Mar 29, 2008
    My Sharpmaker hasn't been cutting it lately so I decided to try a new method. I bought the HF 1x30 belt sander, a few belts from Lee Valley including a leather belt and some white compound for Pop's knife supplies.

Anyway, I get some rip open the boxes and start setting everything up. Propped the sander on a milk crate, throw the belts into a moldy box next to me, plop down on my garage floor, turn on this marvel of Asian engineering and pull out my first knife to sharpen.

I decided on my 0200 to be my first victim...err test, since it was beat to hell and didn't come back. I take a few swipes along the belt and there goes the edge. Damnit :mad:. Not wanting to spend to much time screwing a single knife up I go and grab another one. This time it was my Ka-Bar heavy bowie. No that I have a plethora of experience under my belt I figured I'd fair better this go around. The next few minutes were a blur. I went through my 80 micron belt, 40, 20, 15, 9 and my leather strop in what seemed like seconds. I then test this blade on the forest of hair growing on top of my thigh, make a slow swipe and HOLY HORSE SHIT. Hair goes popping off of my leg and I run to grab as many sharp objects as I could find.

Now looking back at the 10 knifes and 20 garden tools I went through and the short amount of time I spent trying to learn this form of sharpening I can say that I am very pleased. All the rounded convex edges and mirror like polishes I am amazed at the speed and quality of my edges compared to my Sharpmaker.

The end.

Ok now to some questions I have. How often if at all will I need to clean my belts and how? Also when I am sanding off the black coating on one of my blades I couldn't get the coating of some off in the middle of the blade between the spine and edge. I'm guessing this is because the belt rounds a little from the pressure of the knife. Is there and way to fix that?

2. siguy

siguy

Aug 26, 2006
    i don't clean my belts, except by putting my finger on them sometimes to rub off some of the metal dust. i should get one of those rubber eraser things for cleaning sanding belts and disks.

on the coating-i suggest using some sandpaper in your hand to rub it, or go it slow on the platen.

i love the 1x30, and those leevalley belts are great. i orderd a pile of the blue belts too, and use them all the time. i like to use a 120 grit belt to start with to set the bevel angles and thin out edges. then i take it down from the 80 micron to the 9 micron. i buff the wire edge off on a stiff cardboard wheel on my grinder.

welcome to the 1x30 club! feels good doesn't it? ;)

3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Use the platen. It will keep the belt from flexing.

4. siguy

siguy

Aug 26, 2006
    by the way, don't forget to sharpen all the scissors too! ;)