Sheath Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a bit of experience at this sort of thing, Admin on one forum and moderator on another. You can NEVER tell what might work and what might not. I've been through the situation of people clamouring for a particular sub forum and much discussion and finally creating it only to find, after a short burst of activity, it's lucky to get half a dozen posts in a month.

Maybe a sheath forum would do really well, but just because plenty of people think it would be a great idea, doesn't necessarily mean it will.

Not meaning to put a damper on the subject, just pointing out some realities from personal experience.

Its good to hear another view, thanks for the input. :)

but

I frequent at least five other forums that have sheath sub forums, and none are lacking for posts.

Its possible that the unsuccessful sub forums might not have had a lot to do with the over all feel of the forum in general? Thus making it difficult to break the ice so to speak.

Now, we discuss knives, one of those categories of knives requires ........... a sheath. ;) Fixed blades need a sheath, some folders benifit from having a sheath/case. Some fixed blade sheaths have a folder case attached. Its a continuity issue, and I think we have it with the Sheath Forum.

I understood where Spark was coming from when he expressed his concern about there not being enough traffic to justify a sheath forum, and I'm not questioning his experience or judgement, but I'd really appreciate having a single place here to go for sheath information and discussion. I enjoy the sheath threads here, but it's a lot easier to go to one of the other websites that has a dedicated sheath forum that I can go to instead of having to hunt around and hope that I can find what I was looking for. I happened to be on the green forum the other day and read a thread on edge finishing right when I was getting ready to finish the edges on a sheath. As a result, the edges on this sheath look a whole lot better than they would have otherwise. It would be nice to have a place here on bladeforums, which is where I spend most of my time, where I could for the same kind of discussions and information.

I to would not mind a sheath sub -forum...I am always jumping from sub forum to sub forum trying to find a sheath section...but overall it is up to Spark and the other Mods if it is needed or has enough traffic to warrant a sub forum of its own......

I heartily support the idea of a sheath forum. I've been following this discussion and waiting for it to materialize, but it just occurred to me that I hadn't spoken up in support of it.

Is this happening???? I said I wanted it...............is that NOT enough???? As someone used to instant gratification, this waiting is hard to deal with ;)

Cerberus

Is it possible to set up a sub forum for a short time frame just to see if the need is really there?? Seems to me there is a lot of interest, but as Spark says will it continue over the long term?

Here is a Canadian vote for a sheath department. Sheaths are essential and they are often underrated and overlooked.

I'm still hopeful that a sheath forum will become a reality. I still get quite a lot of play on my sheaths in the Custom Knives forum and as a result I upgraded my membership to Platinum. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Paul

Hey Paul! You look good in Platinum! :D :D :D

One of these days we need to meet up for some steers n beers n sheath talk.

And yes, the sheath forum has more than enough support, lets hope the powers that be will give the go ahead. :)

Let's make a Texas Platinum triple post :D Kerrville, San Antonio and now Dallas representin' :D So are we doing this or what??? Paul, it's good to know you are around and good to meet you sir, leatherhog.........I say we keep on keepin on. WE NEED A SHEATH FORUM............

Cerberus

Please add a sheath forum so us newbies don't have to keep asking the same questions of all the veterans.

Let's make a Texas Platinum triple post :D Kerrville, San Antonio and now Dallas representin' :D So are we doing this or what??? Paul, it's good to know you are around and good to meet you sir, leatherhog.........I say we keep on keepin on. WE NEED A SHEATH FORUM............

Cerberus

Texas Platinum triple post? How bout a four-play? Still looking for a sheath forum around here, way out in West Texas.

Enjoying the 80 degree weather here in El Paso :D ,

Nick

A great idea! I'm all for it - I always have questions/issues with knife sheaths, either designing, making, maintaining, or looking to buy one.
"Bloody Bill"

Sounds like a great ideal, be kinda cool to be able to ask the big dogs for tips and hints, not to mention a place dedicated to ogling different options, styles, and materials, I like it.

Helle

I'm encouraged at how this thread is getting regular attention, it does show how this thing could work. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back