1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sheath question on my foxy

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Red Eagle Trapping, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    So i have been carrying my foxy as a car khuk and i took it out the other day and noticed i could not get the blade back in fully, so i learned today that there is cardboard inside to keep the blade snug, unfortunately my cardboard was crushed and now blocking blade from going in. So i had to fish it out with a clotheshanger made into a hook, now the blade is super loose and wont stay in except in the vertical position, i tried to fit a new piece in there but not much help.

Any solutions ? I thought about foam or other things.

Thanks.

2. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2010
    I use furniture foot pads from my hardware store. They come in a variety of sizes, are non marking, and are easy to cut to shape. I usually use the 3/4 inch round style fitted to the widest opening at the top of sheath. I can hold my blade in upside down now. They will also form to shape and you can add lubricant to the pad as well.

3. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
  4. davidf99

davidf99 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I just thought I'd mention a simple solution for the opposite problem: a sheath that is too tight.

One of my favorite knives did not quite fit the sheath. It was hard to get all the way in, then hard to pull out. The sheath was wide enough, just too tight for the thickness of the blade.

I tried stretching the leather, but that didn't work; then I hit on the simplest solution: remove the karda and chakma. That gave the blade compartment enough give that it fits perfectly. I don't really use the karda and chakma very often, and it's easy enough to carry them separately, or leave them home in a drawer for the occasional use. If you need a small companion blade "in the field," a swiss army knife or any other folder will fill the bill.

5. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Great thanks for the tip thats a cool idea.

6. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
  7. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    My m43 is too tight and i noticed that if i take those out it is pefect fit. I leave em in just cause they look nice and just remove one to get the 43 out. Lol thanks.

8. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    :(

I am sorry to hear that HI sold a sheath like this.

9. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I agree. It's troubling since it's definitely not what's expected from HI. I hope this gets some follow-up so that it doesn't happen again. (HI deserves its good reputation, and needs to keep it.)

10. Yangdu

Yangdu Moderator Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Send the blade back and I will try to find a sheath for better fit.

11. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016

12. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Chances of Yangdu having another Foxy Sheath are probably not good due to the wide thin blade you mention.

I suspect the piece you fished out was a thin piece of wood from under the leather wrap up top rather than card board.

What size Foxy is it out of curiosity. I have a couple, perhaps one of my sheaths might be close if yours can't be made satisfactory.

13. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Lol, im 100 percent sure it was cardboard still have it corrugations and all. 3 sections of it and one piece was 2 x 3 inches looks like it was folded over in place to secure the blade as this was all the way down at the bottom. Its no big deal as it one pretty sheath ill make something work. Ill post some pics soon i will also check specs it is one i got on the year end sale 12/31 absolutely gorgeous and lively. 15" 16 or 19oz i believe.

Thanks for the offer but with the advice here i am confident i can make it snug again.

14. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    I sure never seen no cardboard in any sheath but corrugations don't lie. That's cardboard.

Hope you get it to work right, if not we'll find somebody or some way to get it right.

The Foxy is a real beauty, light, fast and classy as all get out.

15. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

the infamous cardboard

16. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Finally got these uploaded so here are a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can just make out some of the cardboard left down in there, the biggest piece looked to be sandwiched over in the bottom which kept the blade snug, when I could not put it back that's when I noticed all the well oiled cardboard. lol

17. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Just a fantastic Foxy all around and the sheath is one of the nicest I have as well as chakma and karda

[​IMG]

18. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    That's an exceptionally nice Foxy. I love the curve to it, gorgeous fullers and a nice piece of wood on the handle too.

You got a good one.

19. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Yeah the balance is amazing and the fit and finish blew me away just amazing. And when i saw it was 15 1/2 inches and 16 oz i knew i could not pass on it. I have to post more pics of the others i picked up at year end as well as the tin chirra is outstanding as well.

20. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Wow that is a fine example for sure. You gotta take her out to play! It's a whole lot of fun :)

Don't know what to say about the cardboard, certainly haven't seen that before. But I never use the original sheaths much anyways :D