1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

short and stubby?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by gblade1, Nov 6, 2009.

1. gblade1

gblade1

Jul 17, 2009
    Hey - Can you guys recommend me a folder, ~2" blade (or less) that has some serious thickness? $100 or less would be nice. Steel is not too big an issue.

If there is a fixed blade that you feel really fits the bill, please cry out!

Many thanks!

2. orca8589

orca8589 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I can't think of anything that will have a sub-2" blade, that will be thicker than maybe 3/32", or maybe at the most 1/8". Any thicker, and you'll run into a lot of friction & resistance when cutting.

There are some itty-bitty last-resort type fixed blade knives out there, but I think that's about it. These folks may have something:
    http://www.topsknives.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=8vhmsq2ioj8jibaperdh9i52i4

If you look in the Knife Makers Discussion sub-forum, you'll find any number of makers who could make what you need.

thx - cpr

3. 230grains

230grains

Jul 10, 2009
    I LOVE thick knives, I just can't see the use of a 2 inch knife with a fat blade. Just get one of these.

http://www.countycomm.com/widgy.htm

If you want to go a little longer look at the Busse Inactive Duty or Fat game warden.

4. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Havn't seen any 2" thick folders out there?

5. gblade1

gblade1

Jul 17, 2009
    I ordered 2 widgys last week :thumbup:

These leads are great! Please keep them coming!

6. ExMachina

ExMachina

Nov 2, 2002
    benchmade "choad" :p (still pre production)

7. Tony8179

Tony8179

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm a fan of the BRKT Mikro Canadian. Small fixed blade, thick steel, comfortable handle, nice leather sheath that can be found for under $100.00.

8. somniloquist

somniloquist Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2007
    How about an Ontario Little Bird? Sub 2" blade, micarta or G10 scales or even paracord if you prefer. Worth a look.

9. sweet_hitch-hiker

sweet_hitch-hiker

Apr 12, 2009
    what about the boker subcom and warcom, or spyderco poliwog

10. Azraell

Azraell

Dec 27, 2006
    They have a good amount of belly, but they are pretty thin (about 2mm or less).

Plus, I've noticed on Subcoms (two of them, actually) that the edge fades away very fast. It's a good knife to keep around if you want to accomplish daily beater tasks like using it as a putty knife, but not quite as an EDC.

And no, the edge didn't blunt because I was using it as a putty knife; it blunted cutting up boxes and packages. It only took maybe one or two boxes before I had to resharpen the thing. :( If they made it in a premium steel or with a better heat treatment, I would buy another in an instant.

11. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Al Mar SLB or Havana Clipper. Not sure if they are thick enough for your purposes, but pretty thick for such a short blade.

12. pilote

pilote

Jul 4, 2009
    kershaw half ton or stubby...

13. DD1

DD1

Feb 29, 2008
    Ask coletrane811 about the Boker Wharcom, he lives and dies by it and carries it everyday, so it must be pretty handy...

14. justintyme

justintyme

Oct 9, 2009
    not a thick blade but a good short fixed blade is the buck harsook. its s30v steel heat treated by the infamous paul bos. like i said, not thick but is a fixed blade with under a 2inch blade and is tough for a small knife.

15. ElectrikHellfire

ElectrikHellfire

May 19, 2008
    Hmm. How about an Emerson CQC14 Snubby? You can find them for around $100-120.

[​IMG]
    (Not my pic)

16. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    If you like a Wharncliffe style edge, a cutting length of 1.9" x .145" of carbon steel can be found in a Bark River Knife & Tool 'Micro T.U.S.K.' for $108-$115 delivered, depending on handle material, from knivesshipfree.com. Derrick is a good fellow to deal with - and Bark Rivers come deceptively sharp (convex edge) and are really custom knives in small production lots. I have a full sized T.U.S.K. - it's a delightful general purpose knife - and a great carver.

Stainz

17. din

din

Feb 16, 2006
    go check out the breakout model folder in the great lakes waterjet subforum in the manufacturers section. looks like it's exactly what you want.

18. gibbyx

gibbyx

Jul 24, 2007
    What you need is a CRKT Stubby Razel; Folder or fixed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both are little tanks - I have the fixed, ringed razel and I bought the small folder for my Dads birthday gift - he loves it. I love mine.

Gibby

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  19. dinozzo

dinozzo

Oct 31, 2009
    Look at the CS Mini Hunter, its pretty awesome, fixed blade, full flat grind, VG-1 steel, securex sheath, about 30 bucks, but its a littler longer than 3"

20. shecky

shecky

May 3, 2006
    I have a Blade-Tech Mouse-lite that fits the bill. Lockback one hand opening blade is just shy of 2", and about .125" thick, with almost a full flat grind. AUS-8 steel. Closed length is about 3". Mine has FRN handle, with tip up right/left pocketclip. Good fit and finish, great lockup, available in several colors from various vendors, black, green, orange, purple, blue. They can be had for less than $25. I believe they have another knife in the same size with a different shaped blade about the same price.