Show me your custom camp knife/chopper.

Chuck Richard's.
ChuckRichardsRight.jpg

I REALLY like this one. There's a wonderful combination of brutish force and elegant refinement. Very nice piece.

Nice to see another fine chopper. I've always loved this next one since I saw it in BLADE

2008%20Scott%20Taylor%20Scholarship%20web%20resize%20with%20disc.preview.jpg

Hi, i only write for know others information of the first knife posted, the 8" Brian Johnson in 5160

attachment.php

It is very very similar to an industrial knife (only 120 knives) designed in an italian forum of knives (www.mckf-forum.com), and product from the Lionsteel industry in Italy

The MCKF-1 in calmax, 7,5" (here with the MCKF-2)

dsc8864uk5.jpg

I think is right quote the original project

Thomas

I don't find the first knife posted, the 8" Brian Johnson in 5160....

Ah now i understand ....

Really incredible!!! :eek:

I cannot understand the reason for changing the photo...i can only have suppositions about that... :rolleyes:

It is very very similar to an industrial knife (only 120 knives) designed in an italian forum of knives (www.mckf-forum.com), and product from the Lionsteel industry in Italy

The MCKF-1 in calmax, 7,5" (here with the MCKF-2)

dsc8864uk5.jpg

I think is right quote the original project

Thomas
Reminds me of John Greco's knives.

Doug

Here's a chopper I recently made. Aldo's 3/8 inch 1095, wrought iron, cocobolo. 10"x2" blade, 5" handle.

Tad Lynch

DSC_0067.jpg

Tad Lynch- your knives are somewhat appealing:D:thumbup:

Nice one Mace!

I really dig that Monnet as well.

Tad - your choppers rock. :thumbup:

Roger

Here's one I grab hold of and find a reason to chop with whenever I'm at Dan Farr's.

orig.jpg

It was one of a series of evolutionary designs that Dan developed when he was actively engaged in the ABS cutting competitions. It is certainly the most "out there" in the series of knives in terms of blade design, but I find it works exceptionally well. And the handle is exceptionally comfortable and very secure.

Roger

Roger, to my eye that is a very useful and practical design. It could be argued that I am "out there" as well. I think that knife and me would get along pretty good:)

Roger, I really like the design and ergonomics of this piece. The handle design looks as though one could chop with it for eternity without fatigue.

Two questions though. What's the spine thickness and what purpose do the multiple reliefs on the blade provide?

orig.jpg

Lorien - I can tell you that blade hits hard and bites deeeeep.

Kevin,

I don't remember the spine thickness - but it is thick. Going from memory (I did an article on the series of knives in Blade a while back) Dan tried this design specifically to address what he thought was his weakest event - the 2 by 4 chop. It is more blade-heavy than his other designs, and combined with the dropped handle it delivers a very powerful blow indeed. The problem was that it suffered in those tests where blade speed counted for more than power - such as the free-hanging rope cut.

The vertical fullers were a means of taking some mass out of the heavy blade and achieving optimal balance.

While the final version of Dan's competition cutter is a much better overall knife (as a good comp. cutter must be) - for pure chopping - this was my favourite of the bunch. The fact that I suck immensely at the 2 by 4 chop probably has something to do with this.

Roger

Found a couple older pics to add:

Massive hog-belly chopper by John Fitch:

standard.jpg

Elegant guardless camp knife by Don Fogg:

orig.jpg

Bolo-style chopper from Kevin Cashen:

orig.jpg

Roger

Back