1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Shun Higo Nokami DM5900 "Ultimate Gentleman's Personal Knife"

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by RamZar, Jul 4, 2013.

1. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Anybody has one of these HIGO NOKAMI PERSONAL STEAK/GENTLEMAN'S KNIFE? Looks real nice and made in Japan.

[​IMG]

2. prelude92

prelude92 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I don't, but I'd love to get my hands on one. My grandmother is from Japan, and not too long ago I was talking to her about her kitchen knives. I asked her is she's ever heard of Shun knives, and she said that she has always wanted a set of them. Someday I hope to be able to afford a whole set for her. She would LOVE them! I'm sure her freaking amazing cooking skills would go along real well with those fancy knives.

3. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Cool.

I ordered one. I think I'll really like it. Also, ordered an Opinel Slim No. 8 Ebony Handle Pocket Knife for comparison.

Will post pictures when they get here next week.

4. Raging Rhino

Raging Rhino Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Curious where you ordered it...

5. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Emailed you the source link and price.

6. SPXTrader

SPXTrader

Dec 26, 2006
    RamZar, you will love this exceptional piece of work. They are much, much more impressive in person than they are in pictures. Enjoy it! :thumbup:

7. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Undoubtedly. Thank you.

8. Dan57

Dan57

Apr 8, 2012
    It's true. I've handled a friend's; it's amazingly smooth with great fit and finish. I was really impressed.

9. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    The Shun Higo Nokami DM5900 was a tough one to find in stock with most vendors saying a few weeks or their in stock status being incorrect.

Finally, got one and confirmed with a phone call that it'll ship out tomorrow.

Already helped out a fellow BF member with said info.

Looking forward to it!

10. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I have one. It's just fun to use....glides through meat like butta....like butta.

11. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    I got mine yesterday and will post pictures by itself and alongside "similar" folders. I put similar in quotes because the Shun Higo Nokami DM5900 is in a category of one! It's so elegant, narrow and oh so Japanese! A unique masterpiece that's affordable. It has a unique flipper!

12. oregonknifenerd

oregonknifenerd

Dec 5, 2011
    I picked one up at the factory sale. They are beautiful knives. I haven't figured out the technique to use the flipper easily and it is a bit awkward compared to the flippers I am used to. That doesn't bother me at all though. The knife seems like it should require a bit more ceremony to open, maybe even some candle lighting and mystical utterances, it is so nice. :p

13. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    This will give you a perspective of the size of the Shun Higo Nokami Gentleman's Folder compared to some others. Note the narrow blade.

Left to Right: Benchmade Pardue LE CF, Fallkniven GP, Al Mar Falcon UltraLight, Beretta Trident Rosewood, Ka-Bar Dog's Head Coppersmith, Opinel Slim No. 8, Shun Higo Nokami, Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 Insingo, Kershaw Leek Composite Blade, William Henry EDC E10.

[​IMG]

14. Raging Rhino

Raging Rhino Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice comparison pic. Thx. Spine thickness? I'm guessing around 1/8"

15. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    1/8" sounds about right (0.12") since the Opinel No. 8 is only 1/16" (0.0625").

16. kershawguy

kershawguy Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jun 11, 2005
    There was a DMS5910, it is the big brother to the 5900.

17. freewheeling

freewheeling

Dec 30, 2012
    This is set up almost like a straight razor isn't it? Does it lock?

18. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Kind of straight razor, slim and sharp. It does lock via a locking liner. The flipper really flips using two hands but not so much one-handed.

19. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    I found some more Gentleman's folders and then I broke them down into the ones that are even lighter with thinner blades in the top row and the others in the bottom row. The Kershaw/Shun ones are at the rightmost of each row.

Top Row Left to Right: Al Mar Falcon UltraLight, CRKT Eros (3"), Ka-Bar Dog's Head Coppersmith, Opinel Slim No. 8, Beretta Trident Rosewood, Kershaw Wild-Wild Turkey, Shun Higo Nokami, Kershaw Wild Turkey Damascus, Kershaw Double Cross Damascus

Bottom Row Left to Right: Benchmade Pardue LE CF, Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 Insingo, Al Mar Mini SERE, William Henry EDC E10, Benchmade Sequel 707SBK, Fallkniven GP, CRKT Carson M16-01T, Kershaw Speedform II, Kershaw Leek Composite Blade.

[​IMG]