1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Shun Higo Nokami gentleman's knife.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jkarp_53, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2006
    My wife knows I like good kitchen knives...we have a selection of Shun models and are great slicers. This was a surprise gift yesterday...it's called a 'Higo Nokami' gentleman's folder, and is made at the KAI/Shun factory in Seki, Japan.

Blade is 4" VG-10, hollowground, handles are Pakkawood, and it's a flipper design, very like an old fashioned straight razor, with an added and updated locking liner for safety.

Here's pics: enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    That is a beautiful knife. I've never seen that one before, excellent gentlemens knife.

3. Thomas W

Thomas W Banned by Moderators

Oct 11, 2005
    This one was designed as a personal steak knife. Turned our pretty sweet, I have quite a few of them, and have given many as gifts. Great conversation piece around the table.

Nice gift from the wifey!

4. uyotg

uyotg Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I saw that the other day in a Williams Sonoma. Looks like a gentleman's knife, indeed. How is it?

5. jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    Yep, it came from Williams Sonoma, her favorite destination...the knife opens very smoothly and was used for dinner last night, the chicken breast didn't have a chance...;) It's set to 32 degrees inclusive, so like the other Shun models at 15 to 16 it's an incredible edge.

The leather sheath it comes with is great but I'm picking up a Benchmade model 42/51 Bali sheath when I choose to carry it on picnics etc.

6. jdboy

jdboy

Jul 9, 2010
    Very nice!!

7. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    That is a really cool knife.

8. iamheckboy

iamheckboy

Mar 20, 2009
    That is a nice looking knife. I've considered picking one up for a picnic or restaurant night out knife. Never can get a decent knife, not even at a decent restaurant! ;)

Does it come shaving sharp or do you have to work on it?

Regards,
    HB

9. jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    Shaving sharp, my arm has a clean patch...Easily the sharpest knife I've pulled out of a box. Steaks will not stand a chance, but why stop there?

10. SpartanSaint

SpartanSaint

Jun 17, 2010
    beautiful beautiful knife.... holy sh!t

11. JetJagger

JetJagger

Apr 2, 2012
    Girlfriend ordered this from William Sonoma for me this past weekend. Getting giddy thinking about it arriving in the next few days!

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I love those little knives. Don't own one myself, but every time I play with one it tempts me.

I'm honestly surprised that no one makes a wharncliffe steak knife. Only the tip would dull against the plate and the rest would stay sharp.

13. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Cutting under an angle will also help to keep that edge sharp.
    I use my Laguiole like this when i go out dining.

14. Andre21

Andre21 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Hey Joe how's it going? Hope all is well. I see that you also have made your way over to this forum. I haven't been on the Benchmade forum much myself either.

But anyway, could you please tell me what model # your knife is? It appears to be a 5900.

And you mentioned a 32 degree edge; did you create that edge or did it come that way?

Thanks and take care Joe

Mike

15. woodkrafter

woodkrafter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2012
  16. Andre21

Andre21 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Thanks Mark for the heads up.

I see the knife in the link has a 3.5" blade, but Joe's has a 4" blade.

That has me curious as to what model # it is.

Thanks

Mike

17. woodkrafter

woodkrafter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Mike,

The knife as shown in the OP's initial post is now listed as 3.75" in length on that company's website, with an handle length of 7.5" Perhaps it's an updated or revised version of the original shown above? The picture now on the webpage does not show a logo or info on the blade.

A.G. Russell's version has a 3.5" blade, is model KE-5900, and has a logo or info similar to the OP's original picture.

Thanks,
    Mark

18. tk59194

tk59194

Sep 23, 2012
    Resurecting this thread. Those that own this knife what do you think of it so far? I had planned to use this for eating, but wondering if there are other practical uses. Just ordered this impulsively off Amazon. thanks.