1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Skookum Bush Tool Dangler

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by ivan51, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    I just got one of my grail knives a Skookum! I wasent to sure about the sheath and was talking to Brian Sargent about it and was thinking a dangler would be perfect for this knife well he just sent me a sweet add on to turn my sheath into a dangler! turned out awsome! thanks again Brian! :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    You're welcome Ivan.

Glad you like it and hope it serves you well.

3. Hesparus

Hesparus

Oct 31, 2004
    What's the hole for?

4. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    Always comes up with these knives.

"Mors Kochanski has also suggested drilling a shearing hole near the tip of the blade where you insert a nail or pin to act as a pivot point. When set up properly the knife is used in a shearing action similar to a flat bed paper cutter for cutting up multiples of whatever one might need such as a bunch of toggles for buttons, tarp tie downs etc. or for processing large quantities of food items." .... Rod Garcia

http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

5. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    in the blade? its a shearing hole.

6. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    im surprised at how good this knife feels in chest lever grip :thumbup:

7. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Nice knife!

VERY nice upgrade on the sheath.

8. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    Yeah Brian hit this out of the ball park lol there was no way i would try to make this a necker setup

9. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    You'd have to be pretty hardcore to pull off neck carry with a Skookum.

Mors is an Animal! lol

10. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Wow. I want one! I just got my second Skookum after waiting 2.5 YEARS. I sold my first one over 3 years ago and got back on Rod's list soon after. This add on is fabulous. I'll have to contact Brian after he is done with the next knife challenge.

11. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    2.5 years ... that's about how long I've been waiting also!

12. Barrabas

Barrabas

Feb 8, 2005
    Wow. That is very well done! Great job Brian!
    Congrats Ivan..haven't found a grip yet that isn't comfortable with it;). It is THE field blade for me. :). Rod sure knew how to make a fantastic entrance into the "realm of the maker"...and such a fitting tribute to Mors. If may ask, what steel did you choose?

13. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Nice mod Brian & congrats Ivan!

14. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    Thanks guys! mine is in 3V so far holds a mean edge! im wondering how A2 would be:D

15. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    First off, that's a great looking dangler...I'll have to PM you Brian!

Second...

My first SBT is in O1 and I ordered one in A2 about 2+years ago. Rod contacted me about a month ago and I know have an SBT in Afghanistan:D It's not a really a "combat" bushcraft blade, but I've been able to toy with it on some scrap lumber. I'll have to give Brian's dangler a shot (that just doesn't sound right....:eek:)

ROCK6

16. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    I'll be making more tonight so let me know!

17. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    That looks great!

I've been using knotted paracord to form a dangler loop on mine, but your's is way better!

18. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    I'd been using P cord too.

This idea popped up when I was talking to Ivan and it seems to work great!

19. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    its been working great! this is the best way IMO to carry this blade

20. gunknifenut

gunknifenut

Jun 9, 2006
    That is a great set up for IMHO the KING of the bushcraft arena. I have yet to hold a knife, even knives I have designed, that could top it. Something is really special about that handle..it just fits my hand in any position. I really like the continuous curved cutting edge as well.
    I ordered 2 years ago, right after the big write up in one of the knife periodicals. I received them 9 months later back then. I have since sold one.(stupid move) but I still have one. I carry it in a standard pouch sheath with firesteel loop, that I bought from Britain. They include this particular sheath with the Wright and Sons bushcrafter. I wish I still had the original sheath...it snapped like Kydex!
    My knife is in A2, and it is stupid sharp with ease, and holds its edge for a great while.

Great set up.