1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sledge Hammers!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by steve-in-kville, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That's a curious tool. Purpose made for something. Is it welded on?

2. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I believe that it is one piece, and I think that it is designed for making impressions/designs in hot metal. I have several of those in my pile of finds that I haven't done anything with yet.

3. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Yes it appears to be one piece, although I thought it could be sharpened and used to hog out timbers but it would be for lefty's. I was wrong found some similar ones looking for vintage blacksmiths tools. I was more jazzed by the rectangle eye in the cross pien.
    Thanks for your input.
    Rick

4. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It looks like a modified sledge. Some material has been removed. I just wondered if the point was original material drawn out or just a piece welded on. Might have been used for descaling a boiler by a left handed man.

5. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Square, here are 3 for comparison and I think your right it was a cut down and welded or repaired also a stamp -7/8- last pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    I agree. Although I have seen such tools before, that one looks fabricated. I'll bet that it was made from a punch.

7. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Thanks jb, the 7/8 stamp was a dead give away.

Jackson Backing-Out Punch Hammer, 2.25lb, 7/8" dia, 16" Hickory Handle

8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That fits. The the weld was fill in for where there was no material to begin with. The 3rd image shows definitely crude forging marks. It didn't need to be pretty, just to work.

9. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    A nice old 3lb Soderfors Cast Steel 3lb head on a new 18" handle, and a very nice old large hatchet head on a reused handle. The hatchet is what I consider a high quality low value head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Haven't seen one of these before, from an old auction listing, a 50 pound sledgehammer from Plumb. The head is over a foot long, and it's said to be sitting on a 300-pound anvil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HUGE 50 lb. PLUMB SLEDGE HAMMER Blacksmith Anvil 1800s
    Overall length 36 1/2", handle length 32", head: 4 1/2" tall, 4 3/4" wide, and 12 1/2" long, total actual weight 51 lbs.

11. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    That's crazy. The biggest that I have seen is 20lb, and 40lb is the biggest that I have even heard of. I wonder what the use case was.

12. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Used for hitting tires? ;)

[video=youtube;bahcrMhz6JQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bahcrMhz6JQ[/video]

13. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    That's funny, looks like he would get more of a workout with a 20lb sledge that he could actually swing and work it.

14. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    To me it seems like an odd place to have a tire and a sledge hammer at the same time no matter what size they are, JMTC.

15. protourist

protourist Gruntled Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I recently found this Quikwerk 3lb hammer. The handle that was on it had no wedge left. Instead it had 4 screws and a couple of washers pounded in to act like a wedge. I reused a cut of handle that was laying around and hung it properly.
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm on a Quikwerk binge. I picked up a 16lb straight pein head to rehang this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  16. protourist

protourist Gruntled Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    [​IMG]
    This thing is a beast. Demolition will be much more fun with this little guy.

17. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    This is for folks (hint hint jb) that are reticent about cross wedging (without using metal wedges) in oval eyes; here's one I did on a W Gilpin sledge (picture of the stamp is on post #3 of this thread) almost 30 years ago. You'll notice the thin wedges have very slowly been backing out (about 1/16") but the head has not come loose. The scavenged ash logs I've been splitting with it are gnarly and about 2 feet long.

[​IMG]

19. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    An old Pexto head, a huge 3.5lb ballpein on an 18" House Handle, and a 7lb NYNHRR (Hubbard) head on a 20" saved sledge handle section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    A few I just finished but....
    [​IMG]
    I needed a rack
    [​IMG]
    Looks like I'm gonna need a bigger rack!
    [​IMG]

L-R 3# Hubbard, 1.5# PLUMB, 2.5# Vaughan & Bushnell, 4# Fayette R Plumb W/Anchor Nevada, 4# Warren and 4# Woodings -Verona

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016