1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sledge Hammers!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by steve-in-kville, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Yours has a few more miles than mine;) quality hammers.

2. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Do you mean the spalling hammer? It is intended for stone work but I am sure that it could be tempered back a little bit and it would be fine for smithing. Those types of heads are falling out of the trees around this part of the country, and I have seen them in just about every weight between 4-20 pounds. I'd probably want $35 or so for that one, but if you are interested I could send you just a head for $10.

3. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    i meant that big cross peen. well, i have a birthday present i have to send to canada, but... nevermind im not gonna say it because i dont wanna lock this thread

4. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    8lb, 18".
    [​IMG]

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  5. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Nice picture and nice hammer jb. Thinking back on years of wrecking stuff commercially with an ordinary sledge this one would have 'taken the cake'.

6. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    JB that is an attractive tool. Is the handle from the hickory you picked up?

7. navasky

navasky

Dec 7, 2009
    Cool thread, here are some of my restorations. Handles are made from old baseball bats.

[​IMG]

garry3 likes this.
  8. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Not this time. House Handle.

9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Nice looking track chisel even though the handle is a little short for that tool. I can't quite make out the stamp. What brand is it?

10. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I'm assuming that this stamp says USA in the circle with another letter or digit that I can't make out. Anybody know who made this?

[​IMG]

11. navasky

navasky

Dec 7, 2009
    The only marking on it is "1 1/4" which I assume is the weight. I've never thought of it as a track chisel although it could well be one. I don't have a lot of tracks to cut, so I just use it as a handled cold cut.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  12. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    I have a Collins axe with that mark. The Collins label is on the handle.

13. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Its likely the length of the cutting edge.

14. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Craftsman, Warwood and unmarked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  15. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thank you sir.

16. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    A big 3lb ballpein on an 18" handle and an Atha 1.25" cold chisel, both new handles.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  17. 1215

Sep 25, 2015
    OK. Everyone please give up all your secrets. Biggest I have is a 3# ball peen and I want pretty much these three hammers (or similar). I need a decent 4# sledge and a heavy(er) engineer's hammer. Where do I find them? Yard sale season is here... Should I just be patient? Thanks.

I know I'm not supposed to be jealous but... drool...
    (edit: except I'll use mine so they won't look like that for more than a few hours)

18. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Well, Jblyttle does have half the old hammers that were actually made on the continental US roaming his basement... Maybe you could shoot him a massage?

garry3 likes this.
  19. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    This is an 8lb Warren-Teed on a 24" handle, an unmarked 1.5lb hatchet on an 18" handle and a 12oz Channellock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  20. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    My favorite hammer. Hung it on a 17" handle.
    [​IMG]

SC T100 and jblyttle like this.