1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Small LED lantern

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by sparrow75, Jan 11, 2012.

1. sparrow75

sparrow75

Mar 22, 2009
    Hope this is the right place, to place this :)
    i made this little lamp recently, it's easy to make and fun to play with

Materials needed

[​IMG]

This has to be done in order for lamp to work properly. The neck of the bottle must be shortened about 1/8 of an inch

[​IMG]

I sanded the body of the bottle for "milky" light but not necessary

[​IMG]

Some kind of stronger thread (i used waxed leather sawing thread) must go under that wire, when done this way thread is secured and can't fall out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that goes in to the bottle. LED lights up at first, but when the "switch" pass the neck of the bottle it goes out

[​IMG]

It looks like this

[​IMG]

When pulled on the thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cap can be screwed on with the thread crumpled inside, in on and off "mode" and it's water friendly :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Here is how it works :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2S2nb3zvRM

It's not the brightest boy of the bunch, but can illuminate some area, and used for reading in a pinch
    Thanks for watching

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. DrivebyTrucker

DrivebyTrucker

Nov 8, 2005
    Cool! Very creative.

3. sgt244

sgt244

Mar 15, 2010
    Very cool =-D

4. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    That is so cool Not sure how the switch can be improved from pulling the thread in and out, but that does not seem to matter. Great idea.

5. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm going to have to try this with red!

6. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    This thread instantly reawakened the flashlight modder in me. A clickie switch on top would probably be doable.

Either way, that's a really cool and practical mod/DIY. I tried hanging a Photon Microlight to see *everything* in the confines of my bivy, but even its bare LED is pretty directional, and it didn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped. I bet that would work great:thumbup:

7. sparrow75

sparrow75

Mar 22, 2009
    Thank you :)
    .. through further playing with the lamp i discovered that it can be operated one hand if i shorten the thread. Hold the lamp in hand, and pull the knot with thumb and index finger. I encourage you to try making one, it's fun and takes about 5 min.

8. Edwood7

Edwood7

Mar 31, 2010
    Coooolllll!!!