1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Smaller Deer Creek

Discussion in 'Gossman Knives' started by Gossman Knives, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    Bottom knife is one inch shorter then the standard size.
    Scott

[​IMG]

2. geargeek

geargeek Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2010
    I really like the looks of that one, what are the other specs (handle length, blade length, blade thickness, steel)? Is it for sale? Any chance of a spine shot on it? Great design!

3. dcycleman

dcycleman

Feb 16, 2009
    Your deer creeks remind me of canadian belt knife designs

4. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    This one is a test piece for hunting season. The standard DC is bigger then I like for a hunting knife although it could be used. It's 8 1/2" overall, 4" blade, 3 3/4" cutting edge, 4 1/2" handle. 5/32" thick by 1 1/2" wide, CPM 154 steel.
    Scott

5. I like it. What do you think about a 3.25" blade?

6. geargeek

geargeek Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2010
    Looks like a great all purpose knife as well, if you decide to offer this model I might order one... Would CPM S35 VN also be an option? Do you think it is better/different than CPM 154? How do they both compare to A2 (in addition to being stainless of course).

7. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Great work as always Scott, looks a real handy little blade !

8. Ossa1970

Ossa1970

Nov 5, 2006
    Very nice, that looks like a good all around hunting knife. Nice job!

9. frc505

frc505

Jun 12, 2010
    Thats nice ! Did you ever get around to making
    That supersized deer creek someone asked you
    About ?

Frank

10. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    that's awesome scott. once i got the UNK in hand, and had a chance to check it out, i was going to talk to you about whether you'd be willing to make a slightly smaller deer creek. i guess that answers that!

i love that blade shape. and that handle looks comfy. i hope i get to find out sometime. ;)

11. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Frank, never did make a larger size but I am working on a customer requested straight spine, 6 1/4" blade, with a guard Deer Creek.
    Sounds good TPVT.
    Scott

12. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I will be offering this size. CPM S35VN is an option. I like both. CPM 154 is actually tougher then A2 according to Crucible's chart for toughness. S35 runs equal to O1 in toughness. Don't underestimate the CPM SS.
    Scott

13. dcycleman

dcycleman

Feb 16, 2009
    Interesting, so the only downside of using cpm154 in a large chopper would be the associated cost of the steel?

14. kyturkey

kyturkey

Oct 10, 2007
    That will work great for hunting season! Very similar to my Ky Woodsman in size and shape, and I really like it on deer.

15. frc505

frc505

Jun 12, 2010
    Sounds interesting ! Ill keep an eye out for it !

Frank

16. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes! I made a 1/4" thick by 2" wide Big Boar Tusker for a customer in CPM S35VN. A 3 foot bar was over 200 bucks!
    Scott

17. Alfaro58

Alfaro58

Sep 8, 2012
    Hi Guys, My name is Bill, I'm the customer Scott is speaking of who ordered the larger deer creek above. I just want to add my .02 and pretty much echo what everyone is saying about Scott, rarely these days do you find his level of interaction, which is most welcome. Scott, you keep building them, I"ll keep buying them, LOL. Take care, Bill

18. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Welcome Bill. Thanks for posting.
    Scott