1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TRX450, Jun 12, 2012.

1. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    I am about to buy my first boot knife and I was looking at this one, but online I find mixed reviews so I thought I would ask people who know how to judge knives. Any advice on this knife or a comparable one?

2. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I'd spend a little bit more and get something with better steel, such as this:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plus-Mosier-Fixed--6002

S&W may make a fine firearm, but their knives leave a lot to be desired. Just my two cents. The Sandvik steel from the Boker is much better steel compared to the alphabet steel in the HRT1.

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Welcome!

Define "comparable," if you would. What are the qualities in this knife that attract you to it? Price? Looks? You want something "self-defense-y"? Looking for small knives? etc etc etc

4. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    The only thing is where I live double edge knives are illegal, so I need a single edge like the S&W. Thanks for the input!:)

5. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    @Marcinek- I like that it is a single edge and the price is great but I can spend more.

6. djjonny

djjonny

Jan 11, 2012
    Kabar BK series like BK2 ?

7. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
  8. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    It is I'll read up on that knife thanks for the suggestions. Is there a boot knife that can also be used as a survival knife cause I hike and camp alot and need something light to carry with me. I really appreciate all the information.

9. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I was actually thinking of that before posting the Boker Mosier. I just kinda figured you wanted to stay with that blade style.

There are several, but they are not the same blade shape. The first few that come to mind are the ESEE Izula, Ka-Bar Becker Necker, and the Ka-Bar ESEE Eskabar (an ESEE and Ka-bar collaboration). The Izula comes in lots of diff colors. EDIT: They're not really boot knives per se. Just small fixed blades. Then again, a fixed blade can become a boot knife if you carry it in the boot.

Eskabar:
    [​IMG]

Becker Necker:
    [​IMG]

Izula:
    [​IMG]

And for something fancier:
    [​IMG]
    http://newgraham.com/store/product/9633/HALO-Boot-Knife-Black-Micarta/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    I like all those but I also like to have a full handle not just empty space in the middle... I know I'm being picky but this is going to be a EDC knife for me.

11. djjonny

djjonny

Jan 11, 2012
    You can weave a paracord grip through those

12. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    I also read that the Ka-Bar Becker's sheath dulls the knife and I don't want to have to sharpen it every other time I take it out to use it. Yeah the IZULA seems like the one that I might get but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Another question that I have is I wear cowboy boots every day would all these knives fit and stay on cowboy boots? I know that's probably a stupid question but I don't know much about boot knives.

13. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    1) That Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife is not a good hiking and camping knife. The Eskabar, Becker Necker, and Izula are infinitely better designs for hiking and camping (and probably "survival," whatever that means...)

2) You don't have to sharpen an Izula every other time you take it out of the sheath. The sheath doesn't dull it.

14. fatherhudson

fatherhudson

Apr 3, 2012

I think the sheath might eventually dull it but not in a very noticeable way and not very quickly. certain youtube reviewers *hehhem* don't know what they're talking about.

15. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Winner of the 2012 Understatement of the Year Award! :):thumbup:

16. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    I decided to go with the Izula, it's better quality, made in the U.S.A (which is a big thing to me), I can but a had grip for it and there are no reviews about it being poor quality (especially the sheath). Thanks for all the help guys! Glad I joined this forum! :D

17. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a couple of the SWHRT1's... i like them, but they're nothing special

18. kappi011

kappi011

Sep 18, 2011
    i also bought the izula in the last month and i now carry it every day there is just so many options for the handle and also the sheath is pretty universal

19. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    yeah, as an EDC, the HRT is a terrible choice. It has very little utility value

20. TRX450

TRX450

Jun 12, 2012
    What do you mean there are so many options for the handle? I only found the para cord and canvas handle for it online.