Smokestacks and the Whatnot

That's good to know about the kydex Scott, thanks, I think I'll take your advice and stick with something else.:thumbsup:

I'm an oddball Laurence because I'm a righty that likes a right handed sheath on the my left side, stays out of the way over there in left field.

Well, so much for the 'What's next?' question; that little paring knife is cool as heck. I would recommend against a Red-White-Blue-White-Red spacer stack, unless each is at least .10 to start with. RMK thinned out their spacer stock in the mid 80's, and I truly hate the look; won't buy one with 'modern' spacers if I can help it.

Andy Thornal Sporting Goods was an early RMK dealer and had their own distinctive spacer stack that was thick .10" black/white/black/white/black fiber spacers. It looks really clean (I'll dig up a photo as time permits) - point being, keep it simple; reverse the stack dependent on handle material used. Add brass or NS sheet stock between the spacers, with matching guard and end cap or end plate, and you'll bang it out of the park with little added effort.

I wouldn't get too busy like James Behring does with his Scagel-type handles, but adding red Micarta centers, with brass can be really striking too.

M27.jpg

Thanks Shel, I need to get some more micarta. I like the maroon, bone, OD green over primary colors. I've got some sheets in brass, nickel, and bronze, I would like to come up with something for near the end cap that was recognizable.

Decided to add some bone linen micarta to the mix on this one. Need to add the bronze end cap (.07") on this one and shape it.
IMG_20170517_121508-1152x458.jpg

Is that a piece o mesquite I see there?

Yeah I hear he's pretty nuts. :confused: That's gonna be a beauty. :thumbsup:

She's not spoken for, but you're on the Clan mailing list so you'll know as soon as she's available.

We might have to work out a "Dibs" system for laying a soft claim during the thread before they're done.

Well, so much for the 'What's next?' question; that little paring knife is cool as heck. I would recommend against a Red-White-Blue-White-Red spacer stack, unless each is at least .10 to start with. RMK thinned out their spacer stock in the mid 80's, and I truly hate the look; won't buy one with 'modern' spacers if I can help it.

Andy Thornal Sporting Goods was an early RMK dealer and had their own distinctive spacer stack that was thick .10" black/white/black/white/black fiber spacers. It looks really clean (I'll dig up a photo as time permits) - point being, keep it simple; reverse the stack dependent on handle material used. Add brass or NS sheet stock between the spacers, with matching guard and end cap or end plate, and you'll bang it out of the park with little added effort.

I wouldn't get too busy like James Behring does with his Scagel-type handles, but adding red Micarta centers, with brass can be really striking too.

View attachment 709127
That is one of my favorite RMK handle styles.

Thanks Scott, I really like how lightweight leather is, it's gonna be a swift little blade I think.

I really love this knife! Light, cuts quick, dressy enough for the Knifemakers Ball, solid and comfortable, ready to hit the trail!!:thumbsup:
Thank you, John!!
20170518_121454-3024x2268.jpg 20170518_121515-3024x2268.jpg 20170518_121538-3024x2268.jpg

She's not spoken for, but you're on the Clan mailing list so you'll know as soon as she's available.

We might have to work out a "Dibs" system for laying a soft claim during the thread before they're done.

Ok. Just checking.:D

Pictures look great Dennis! Thanks again for the patience and freedom on the build. I think that came out pretty unique.

That's because you know it to be true. :)

Back