Smokestacks and the Whatnot

Two holes from each end, one on top of the other until they met, and some hillbilly broaches ( ground down jigsaw and sawzall blades). It wasn't too hard of a curve but I'm definitely gonna be making some longer broaches out of some scrap steel.

Just a quick grind to see how the leather section will look with the bronze spacers. This is with two leather pieces with the rough side out between each spacer, I tried it with a spacer in between each piece and it looked to busy. This will be between the guard and the blackwood.
I also added another piece of copper behind the guard.
IMG_20170421_013705.jpg

I'm thinking I like it! :thumbsup:
It brightens it nicely, and should develop a nice look after being handled some with the oils in your hand and whatnot. :cool:

Just a quick grind to see how the leather section will look with the bronze spacers. This is with two leather pieces with the rough side out between each spacer, I tried it with a spacer in between each piece and it looked to busy. This will be between the guard and the blackwood.
I also added another piece of copper behind the guard.
View attachment 699564
Spacer material with the bronze is looking good John.

I think it's gonna work out nice Dennis.

Thanks Scott, the bronze is .008", it's way easier to work with than the .005". Still really flexible, but not a flimsy pain to work with.

Something I hadn't seen before. This from knife maker and cool kid, Edward Braun. He calls it his cocobolo exmoo edge slicker - looks like it works pretty well...

Edge Slicker.jpg

Nice, I've got an old bench grinder laying around that I've been meaning to convert into a slicker. I bet cocobolo works good for that, oily enough to not dry out and polishes up like glass.

I made one like many years ago to fit in a dremel tool it worked pretty good if you keep the speed reasonable. I use a time off to of a deer antler which works well also.

Forgot to mention I made mine out of hard maple I'll post a pick of it next time I get to the shop.

Gonna try to solder the guard on the Whatnot tonight or in the morning. I'll get some pics up then. All the handle pieces are slotted and ready to go, once the guard is soldered we should be cruising. Looking forward to how this handle is gonna come out.

Dennis, if I can pull off this solder job and the handle shapes up like I think it will, you're gonna be a happy camper. I outdid and surprised myself with the Delkalope, hopefully this one will be no different:thumbsup:

John, of that I've no doubt! I would have been proud to own any of the knives I have see of yours!
Thanks for the update, and look forward to more of your WIP!

Got the bronze guard soldered on the small blade in the group, I'll be soldering the Whatnot after I demolish this plate of pork ribs the much better half made for dinner.IMG_20170426_185001.jpg

Thanks for the WIP fix. Now I can sleep peacefully tonight...

The Whatnot is soldered, in the process of cleaning it up.

Thought I'd try YouTube for music in the shop tonight, I was all over the board, Puddles Pity Party to Dylan, to Cohen. It's gotta be tough to do a Leonard Cohen cover, but this little gal nails it.

Nice job on the soldered guard, looks really good.

Back