1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

So what do you guys use your HI Sirupate for?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Maniacal Pete, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    I really love my HI sirupate.

It is one of my most exquisitely formed HI blades,
    but I am seriously wondering what to use it for.

It seems like using it to baton firewood
    would be an abuse for such a delicate blade.

How do you use yours, slicing tomatoes?

How sharp do you keep it?

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I have a 15" 17 oz Siru that I keep razor sharp in a shoulder holster for "social work":)

3. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I carry mine for use as defensive weaponss also, so they are never actually used. Hopefully it stays that way.

4. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Oh i doubt mine will ever need to be used for such, but I also own swords, military daggers made mostly for poking holes in the squishy parts of humans, and various other weapons of war. All of them are fully functional, but I doubt I'll need them. I will say, a 15" siru tucked under your arm is a comforting friend.

5. falar

Jul 7, 2012
    Agreed. My 20" even makes me think I'm safe from Bears.

6. Shinook

Shinook

Apr 2, 2012
    Cool, while you're feeling safe, I'll leave you to it... ;)

7. Browning A Bolt

Browning A Bolt

Jul 1, 2012
    This must be the only place in the world where a 15" long and 5/16" thick truck leaf spring blade weighing over one pound is considered delicate.

8. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Noone considers them "delicate" by any means. They are built the same way as all H.I. are.
    The only difference is that they are not warranted for chopping wood, because by their design they are not meant for that task.

9. falar

Jul 7, 2012
    haha, yeah you are right, it is most definitely a false sense of security.

But hey, he would know he had been in a fight at least.

10. Browning A Bolt

Browning A Bolt

Jul 1, 2012
    Sorry, Karda. I was speaking tongue in cheek based on the original post. I don't consider my 15" sirupati to be delicate. It is quite robust.

11. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Ah, Understood. Never mind what that Pete guy sez. :p
    Incidentally, I'm sure the sirupate would excel as a kitchen blade as well as for self defense.

12. wildmanh

wildmanh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    I use my 20" Sirupati for trail clearing, brush work, light wood chopping and the like. Lisa has also been used for cutting up food like water melon and beef on campouts.

13. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Hey, Heber:) why is her name Lisa? Just curious:)

14. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    It was a sincere question; I wasn't being flippant.
    Perhaps "graceful" would have been a better choice of word to describe it.

Steely, any pics of how you pack it?
    Is it fully concealed?

15. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Yes, graceful probably would've been a more apt description, My friend.
    If Steely carries it like he carries the rest of his blades, its in a shoulder holster.

16. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Well I have it with me today:) I went ahead and snapped a pic of the holster over a tee shirt and then covered up with my standard overshirt. The should rig is UGLY, but it's a prototype. I have a bad habit of making ugly prototypes, finding that they work well enough, and then I end up not making a refined version:p You can see the knife buck out a little bit, but I wasn't planning on wearing it today and the Glock on my hip is pushing the bottom out a tad. It normally rides very tightly to my ribs.

This particular rig is modular and based on a Tandy Leather shoulder holster kit. I found a pistol flopped around badly on it, but a big knife secured to the shoulder straps carried just fine. The sheath is what I call "accidentally universal". It was actually made for a 15" Boomerang AK, but because of the extreme blade curve and long ratio of blade to handle, it fits several khuks safely and securely. 12" khuks hide away, big chunky 15" khuks carry well, but it seems almost MADE for a nice balance 15" fighter like my Siru.
    2012-09-08_08-42-12_396.jpg 2012-09-08_08-42-47_36.jpg
    The Siru was actually made by the Sgt. and came in one of his gorgeous silver scabbards. I kept it on my wall for a couple of years as a show piece before I got curious as to what kind of blade was REALLY in there. As it turns out, this Siru is just too lively to live its life on a wall. I found another khuk that fit the fancy scabbard and there it hangs to this day. The Siru lives in the drawer by my bed or in my truck and is almost always attached to the shoulder rig unless I'm carrying my Tirtha Bowie.

17. Browning A Bolt

Browning A Bolt

Jul 1, 2012
    The siru plus the glock is just too cool. Sounds like the ultimate concealed carry arsenal.

18. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Thanks:) I'm totally fine with just my G26, but sometimes I carry both for giggles:) It's weird because I am right hand dominate when it comes to writing or using a tool like a knife, but I am left hand dominate firing a gun (handgun or long arm). So I wear my pistol on my left but I draw my knife with my right. To make things REALLY stupid, I shoot a compound bow right handed and shoot a recurve/long bow left handed...I'm all kinds of stupid fingered:p

19. Ta2warrior

Ta2warrior

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm almost exactly like that as well. Us ambidextrous people are "333 - Only half evil" haha. It's good to see that there are more 'stupid-fingered' folks in the world! I don't feel like an anomaly so much anymore.

20. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    :eek:

Those are some steely guns! :D

Very cool rig, I like that sheath a lot.

OK, so mine came with one of the fundraiser leather sheaths, as it was sheathless.

Do you think that sheath will work for a similar set up?

Yours looks a lot like the same sheath, but with a handle strap and rivets.

I do know how to use large edged weapons, after a fashion (up to spear and kwan-dao),
    and this is something that I would like to try.