1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

So what happened to the Manix 2 Sprint Runs?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Rolex John, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Rolex John

Rolex John Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2010
    It seems like for a while there was a new Manix 2 sprint every month....then they just died. :eek:

What happened? More coming?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. hiredgun

hiredgun

Mar 23, 2001
    We all got hooked on Para2 sprints instead. ;)

3. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Popularity dropped. Its not the latest and greatest so the demand dropped. Then the P2 came out.

4. berserk87

berserk87

Sep 16, 2009
    I think that about sums it up.

5. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    Except for M390, they have done most of the Manix 2 sprints.

Plus there is the newer Manix 2 XL that is due to start the sprint run process too.

6. Huntsman Knife Co.

Huntsman Knife Co. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2010
    I remember in 2010 you couldn't get your hands on para. I got my first one by calling GP before they were even listed on the site and managed to get the last one they had in stock. I paid 110 for a regular black and s30v para and thought it was just about the best knife Id ever owned and understood why there were going for almost $200 on the exchange! :eek: Oh how the times have changed!

Id love to see a Manix 2 or Manix XL sprint soon with something like M390 and LSCF.

7. berserk87

berserk87

Sep 16, 2009
    Superman - What is LSCF? Something-something Carbon Fiber?

8. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    Lightning strike Carbon fiber

9. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt

Mar 15, 2010
    I'd spring on an M390 Manix 2 for sure. I really like the Manix 2 and don't think it gets the praise that it deserves.

10. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    It's a shame really IMHO. I've always dug the blade profile, as well as the nifty ball lock on the Manix 2. I'd love to see one offered in Super Blue, seeing as Sal has been dabbling in the stuff lately.

11. Huntsman Knife Co.

Huntsman Knife Co. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2010
    I love the manix 2. It has a very nice blade shape and slices well + has a nice lock and is pretty comfortable for hard cutting. I think the reason the Para2 is more popular is that 1.) The standard production version is better, and 2.) The manix is harder to pocket than the Para 2 which totally disappears in your pocket.

12. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    I really haven't been following Manix 2 variants, but weren't quite a few of them sponsored Exclusives rather than Sprint Runs? If so, then lack of interested sponsors would be the most obvious reason for fewer new ones. Plus, with the XL and Lightweight versions competing for production time, there may be fewer openings in Golden's production schedule.

13. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    Once the S90v/CF sprints came out, everything else seems weak. ;) But I still love the M4 Manix 2.

14. berserk87

berserk87

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks -

15. Rolex John

Rolex John Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Think so? I have both and don't see much difference between the two in the pocket.

16. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    Yes please! I much prefer the manix to the para.

17. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

18. creativeguy

creativeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm a sucker for orange so this is my favorite!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. berserk87

berserk87

Sep 16, 2009
    I think it's all about personal preference. I like both knives quite a bit, but I find that the Para 2 is lighter and I like the way it fits into my pockets better than the Manix 2.

20. Huntsman Knife Co.

Sep 10, 2010
    I carried a moonglow for about 3 months and noticed that the width of the knife made it a little hard sometimes to reach into my pocket and grab my phone and stuff. It just takes up more space but it doesn't feel heavier than the para. They both are pretty much weightless in terms of carry. I always forgot I was carrying my moonglow till I needed it.