1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

SOG Tomahawk Mods

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by ljcsov, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Post yours!

So far, I wrapped the handle in white paracord to improve chopping grip. I hope that this won't be as brutal on my callouses as the plain nylon handle. Also, I added a simple lanyard to the handle.

I'm looking to dye the handle. Any suggestions? I think a dyed handle would look great with a stripped head.

What do you think?

2. leebrewer

leebrewer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2008
    2012-03-25 17.53.04.jpg
    I modded the edge and sharpened the spike.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. swimmerdude1127

swimmerdude1127

Mar 26, 2007
    Pictures...? :D

4. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Here ya go

[​IMG]

5. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    I got some big rubber washers from the hardware store. The handle is fatter at the bottom, by the way. Then I wrapped that with some camo form tape. I like it, I can use my Fasthawk with bare hands, has cusion and grip.
    I've been thinking about re-working the edge as well. Sharpen the spike, why didn't I think of that?!! That has got to help with penetration, it's not so great from the factory.

6. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    I am planing some mods to mine as well. I am trying to find out who made the titanium handle on babakanoosh45's SOG fusion. LOVE THAT HANDLE ! I am looking to put a sharp beard on it & sharpen the spike a little more. Handle is already too fat for my hand.

7. leebrewer

Apr 21, 2008
    With a sharpened spike and the front edge sharpened and the top and bottom points taken down a bit and the beard sharpened. I like mine alot better. Cuts better, penetration is better.

8. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    Throw some pics of it up on here brewer !

9. leebrewer

Apr 21, 2008
    It's post 2

10. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    I e-mailed mr.kpj ---no response yet. (who is the person who made the titanium handle for babakanoosh45's SOG Fusion Hawk). Thats awesome. I wonder if he still makes them or would make one from aluminum for me ?

11. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned

Apr 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    I like it thrillbilly!

I had some trouble stripping mine :(

13. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned

Apr 16, 2011
    it was indeed tuff coating! I had it soaking in KleanStrip for almost two hours...still seemed immune...but when I washed it off, and took the 100 grit to it, it came right off. Im very pleased by the gunmetal grey that was under the coating!

One note, I dabbed some PCB Etchant on the SOG logo to get it in the metal good....it literally stripped the coating off in under 10 minutes! I had to very quickly rinse it off so as not to start etching an oval in the metal! Im surprised, spraypaint will be eaten off by Kleanstrip in just a minute...but PCB wont go thru it...yet on the SOG coating...the opposite was true!

14. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Where can I find me some of this etchant?

How does it work? If I engrave something only minimally with a needle will it eat up that area? I attempted to do something similar with a 9v and salt water but it barely affected the metal. You can barely see my etching attempt when the light hits the knife in the right way.

15. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned

Apr 16, 2011
    RadioShack sells it, in the soldering supplies.

16. tholiver

tholiver

Feb 22, 2003
    Old thread i know but has anybody ever modded the SOG axe head? I was thinking of removing the spike end, right up to near the handle to make a sort of hammer poll.