SOG Tomahawk Mods

Post yours!

So far, I wrapped the handle in white paracord to improve chopping grip. I hope that this won't be as brutal on my callouses as the plain nylon handle. Also, I added a simple lanyard to the handle.

I'm looking to dye the handle. Any suggestions? I think a dyed handle would look great with a stripped head.

What do you think?

Here ya go

2zssc50.jpg

I got some big rubber washers from the hardware store. The handle is fatter at the bottom, by the way. Then I wrapped that with some camo form tape. I like it, I can use my Fasthawk with bare hands, has cusion and grip.
I've been thinking about re-working the edge as well. Sharpen the spike, why didn't I think of that?!! That has got to help with penetration, it's not so great from the factory.

I am planing some mods to mine as well. I am trying to find out who made the titanium handle on babakanoosh45's SOG fusion. LOVE THAT HANDLE ! I am looking to put a sharp beard on it & sharpen the spike a little more. Handle is already too fat for my hand.

With a sharpened spike and the front edge sharpened and the top and bottom points taken down a bit and the beard sharpened. I like mine alot better. Cuts better, penetration is better.

I e-mailed mr.kpj ---no response yet. (who is the person who made the titanium handle for babakanoosh45's SOG Fusion Hawk). Thats awesome. I wonder if he still makes them or would make one from aluminum for me ?

it was indeed tuff coating! I had it soaking in KleanStrip for almost two hours...still seemed immune...but when I washed it off, and took the 100 grit to it, it came right off. Im very pleased by the gunmetal grey that was under the coating!

One note, I dabbed some PCB Etchant on the SOG logo to get it in the metal good....it literally stripped the coating off in under 10 minutes! I had to very quickly rinse it off so as not to start etching an oval in the metal! Im surprised, spraypaint will be eaten off by Kleanstrip in just a minute...but PCB wont go thru it...yet on the SOG coating...the opposite was true!

Where can I find me some of this etchant?

How does it work? If I engrave something only minimally with a needle will it eat up that area? I attempted to do something similar with a 9v and salt water but it barely affected the metal. You can barely see my etching attempt when the light hits the knife in the right way.

Old thread i know but has anybody ever modded the SOG axe head? I was thinking of removing the spike end, right up to near the handle to make a sort of hammer poll.

Back