1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Solingen Carbon Steel - what kind of steel is this

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by boris01, Sep 4, 2008.

1. boris01

boris01

Aug 2, 2008
    I see a lot of Boker, Buffalo Creek and Hen and Rooster knives that are described with quote "Solingen Carbon Steel. Solingen Steel is reguarded as the Highest Quality Knife Steel in the world ." Is this 1095 or some other kind of steel? Does it hold an edge well? Is it good steel or just advertising? I am looking for knives that hold a sharp edge. I do not worry about rust because I clean my knifes often.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Probably pretty close to 1095 or 01.

3. jbombelli

jbombelli

Mar 23, 2008
  4. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The quote was true at one time, no longer.

"Solingen Carbon Steel" is whatever they want to use as there is no specification that limits it to any particular alloy. So it can vary by maker or even by model if that is what they want to do.

5. boris01

boris01

Aug 2, 2008
    many thanks

6. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002