some projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Love the finish on the flats.

The Alaskan is one of my favorite knives, maybe my favorite outdoors knife. It might be one that you have to use to really appreciate. That one looks outstanding. :thumbup:

It's... kind of a personal preference. I, for myself, always knock the corner off the rear with a stone and give myself 2mm of deadspace.

Here's some works in progress:

This is what a malfunctioning camera looks like!

2010-01-24-0001.jpeg

and now for the big blade:
2010-01-24-0004.jpeg

2010-01-24-0006.jpeg

more.....

An eight inch thick full tang leuku, a bolo type short chopper, and a round butt leukku that's getting a bit of an art deco look when it's done:

2010-01-24-0007.jpeg

2010-01-24-0008.jpeg

2010-01-24-0009.jpeg

I don't know why exactly, but the lines of the round-butt Leuku really speak to me. Remind me of a tanto almost. Elegant simplicity. I love the common language of sharp steel.

It's a lot of fun to hold. Not the last one I'll be making. I really am trying for the simplest possible shape and look. This particular one is gluing up right now in black G10.

I don't have a wood yet that I like for that style. I might try a dye soaked ipe, but I think the next several will be getting black paper micarta.

That just sounds right.

What about ray skin and Japanese binding over wood?

I think I'm going to do a slightly different design for a ray skin and wrap.

I am considering a really thin G10 handles version with a 100pound cord wrap.

That looks excellent. Nice clean lines--straight spine looks like the business. Micarta looks great. Grind looks perfect. A bit smaller in the hand than I expected from previous photos, but it seems to fit your hand perfectly. Wow, great knife.

Did you cut yourself again?

A little super glue will fix that right up....

It's a pretty stout handle overall, but not a really long tanto style one. Eventually I'll have to do one 1/4 inch broader and another inch ont he handle.

I've been biting myself lately on the thicker stock. I'm really working hard on the higher grind when I'm using the 1/8 inch 1080 and for whatever reason, I'm slicing the pads of my fingers a lot.

I really like the 'stout' look of the handle. Seems like you'd have a very strong grip with great control. Sorry you're getting bitten, but I do like the higher grind you've got there.

Damn I like the look of that. Problem is that I already have another project for you in mind, but that will require a separate post....

That is outstanding too. Have you been taking vitamins or ginko or something?

Hey, does that beast need a home....?

I use the platen some to set the bevel angles before going to the slack belt. with some practice I can get very near a true scandi- as good as a production scandi- ont he slack belt. I mostly just ...what's the old word? "groove"- I mostly just feel my groove.

And vitamins help!

Love the puukko ish one, and love the leuku. Hollowdweller would really like that puukko a lot.

I'd be hugely interested in taking part in a passaround for either should you do one! And either way I'll be keeping an eye out on the FS area!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back