1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Source for ceramic detent balls?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by cpirtle, Jan 10, 2002.

1. cpirtle

cpirtle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    I have a folder that has a cheesy plastic detent ball in it, it kind of pi**ed me off when I figured it out because this is an expensive knife (~$400). Not sure what it's called but it's a silicon based plastic that's slippery, problem is it's wearing down fast..

Anyway, I want to replace it with a ceramic bearing and can't seem to find any.

I would only need 3 or 4 not 1,000 which may present a problem also.

Any suggestions?

2. kenb

kenb

Nov 17, 2008
    I would do a general search BUT im sur if yiu start with ebay you be able to get some hits. Good luck.

3. Frank Barron

Frank Barron

Jan 31, 2006
    If its a 400.00 dollar knife, then call the customer service dept and complain.
    I broke my 50.00 gerber multiplier, I shipped to oregon and they shipped me a new one.
    No issues.

Frank

4. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
  5. Ed Caffrey

Ed Caffrey

Jul 23, 1999
    I might be wrong here, but common sense tells me that if you replace the detent with a ceramic ball, your going to run into another issue...scoring the blade along the detent path. Don't know if that would be an issue for you or not.
    It also occurs to me that the company MAY have intentionally put a detent ball in the knife that is softer than the blade....so that the detent wears rather than scoring the blade along the detent path. I would think it would be less costly and labor intensive to replace a detent than to fix or replace a scored blade. ...... just some thoughts.

Obviously the ideal situation would be that nothing wears/wears out on a knife like that, but consider all your options before doing something that might create more problems than it solves.

6. Chuck Gedraitis Knives

Chuck Gedraitis Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 1998
    A ceramic ball does score the blade but it then burnishes it and polishes the path. An advantage is that you don't have to mask it when you anodize.

7. kenb

kenb

Nov 17, 2008
    Boca bearing sells ceramic balls in a variety of sizes from quantity 1 to N