1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Southern Grind Special Edition Spider Monkey!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Thomas Carey, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 26, 2010
    This post is a bit long winded so please bare with me. :D

Minuteman has teamed up with Zac Brown's Southern Grind to raise funds for the military charity Red Circle Foundation. With a special edition of Southern Grind's popular Spider Monkey. Our version will have tan G10 their logo and ours plus a handy fob.

[​IMG]

All of the usual Southern Grind markings will appear on the knife as will our logo. $30 from each one we sell will go to the charity Red Circle Foundation.

Red Circle Foundation is a rapid funding force that provides emergency assistance to the families of current and former Special Operators who have made the ultimate sacrifice or fall into other extenuating circumstances. They don't require people to go through a lengthy process of filing paperwork and waiting a long period of time for help. In fact a lot of the time they are able to help out in a matter of hours. As they move so fast I have arranged with the charity that each time we sell one of these upcoming knives we will send them their share via PayPal.

For those of you that don't know...

A portion of the sales of Southern Grind knives go to benefit Camp Southern Ground, the non-profit passion project of three-time GRAMMY award-winning artist Zac Brown. To learn more about Camp Southern Ground please visit CampSouthernGround.org.

So with these knives two different charities will benefit. Plus to those that buy one you will get a quality American made knife. Now I know many on the forum don't like liner locks or coated blades and this knife has both. But we've tested one for a couple months as has the SOFrep team via the Load out Room. https://loadoutroom.com/28023/minuteman-southern-grind-spider-monkey-first-impressions/

For those of you that might not be familiar with my Minuteman brand you might want to read a recent post on our brands blog about what motivates us.
    http://minutemanwatches.com/uncategorized/why-we-created-the-minuteman-brand

For those of you that are not familiar with the Southern Grind Spider Monkey here is the specs:

Handle: Tan G10
    Lock & Liner: 6AL4V Titanium
    Grind: Conventional Flat Grind
    Blade Steel: S35VN
    Hardness: RC 58-59
    Blade Length: 3.25″
    Blade Finish: Black PVD
    Weight: 3.2 oz.
    Overall Length: 7.4375″
    Handle Length: 4.1875″
    Blade Thickness: .130″

Price: $229.95

[​IMG]

We have started accepting orders.

Right now our plan is to produce just one batch of these and we will pre-sell them for just 60 days. My guess is we would only make about 50. Though I hope to sell a lot more so we can raise more money for the charities.

Here are two photo's we've just had done of the final prototype.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do want to also point out that Minuteman does not have any full time employee's and I personally make my living selling RV's for another business. Despite what some may think I really did create the brand to offer quality products. 100% American made when I can and to raise funds for great charities that help veterans and their families.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. js1badsti

js1badsti Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    would definitely be in for one if I know when you are taking preorders.

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    "100% American made when I can and to raise funds for great charities that help veterans and their families."

...hard to argue with this. The prototype looks nice; the Spider Monkey is a very decent folder.
    Good luck with your collab... :)

4. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    When we are ready I will either add a post to this thread or post a fresh one most likely here in the General forum. Also of course a post on the sales forum. If people PM or email me at [email protected] they can asked to be added to a contact list I am putting together for this particular project. I will contact those people first when we are ready to go.

5. js1badsti

Nov 20, 2015
    email sent with my info Thomas,thanks.

6. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    Did yours go through? Mine keeps getting returned saying that the address is disabled.

7. Amoo

Amoo Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Good steel check, <7.5" check, charity knife sure why not. Did I miss the price on this or is that not public yet?

8. js1badsti

Nov 20, 2015
    mine did not go thru either so I pm'ed him.Thomas can you verify that you got my PM when you get time? thx js

9. lcsmith84

lcsmith84 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I would definitely be interested in one of these.

10. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    Price is $240. As we had not started accepting orders I did not include that in the post. But I have changed it so it is there now. =)

11. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Ill get one, always like southern grind, now you just gave me a great reason to buy one, count me in

12. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    If you have any questions about this knife or project please feel free to ask me.

With this project we as a brand are going to change things regarding when we give funds to the charities we raise funds for and the amount. Going forward as soon as someone orders for example this knife. We will send a fixed amount to the charity we are raising funds for. So for example someone places an order for this knife. I will immediately fire off $25 to Red Circle Foundation via their web site.

For those of you that either can not afford one of these knives or are simply not interested in it. I urge you to check out Red Circle Foundation and consider making a donation to them.

13. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I am not typically a fan of blade coatings, but those look great! Good on you for doing this and good luck.

14. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    I know for some the fact that we are pointing out the charitable aspect is upsetting. To be transparent the portion we are donating amounts to about 40% of the profit.

I am getting a press release now and am down playing the charitable aspect on that. When we start to push these if you don't see the charitable please be aware we are still donating the funds we said we would to Red Circle.

Right now one of the reviewers for SOFREP's "Loadout Room" has the final prototype which he just received yesterday. They might have the review ready to post at the very end of this month. Just after it posts will start the 60 day pre sell. I will most likely post a link to the review in the listing for these on our site. I will for sure post a link on our social media and such.

I've been carrying the first prototype and using it on a daily basis for about a month now and for me this smaller size is perfect for my needs. I am very pleased with that fact we selected this brand and this model.

Rather than refer to this knife as having a lanyard. After having several state that in their view this is really a fob I am going with calling it a fob officially. If any of you would like me to contact you with a link of where you can order when we do start offering these. You can pm me or email me at [email protected] and let me know you what on the contact list for this knife.

15. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    Evening fellow members. Hope all of you are well and had a great day. :thumbup:

I just got in what I think are better photo's of the project my Minuteman brand is working on with Zac Brown's Southern Grind brand and thought I would share them with you. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Very cool variation of an already good knife and a charitable cause :thumbup:

17. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    ^

Agreed!

18. Thomas Carey

Nov 26, 2010
    On the knives I like to collaborate with brands that have a rock solid and popular design that's made in the USA and offer a special version. =) The main reason I do what I do is to raise for select charities that are doing a excellent job of helping our veterans. For me Minuteman is a part time endeavor that I am not trying to make my living off of.

19. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Can't go wrong with SGrind since he already uses profits to fund his children's center/camp experience...awesome idea and project!