1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Spacers, .030 or .060?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Svs, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Svs

Svs

Sep 5, 2012
    Hello All,

I'm going to pick me up some spacers online and need some help on the correct sizing for a folder and fixed blade.

The two sizes are: .030" & .060" , Would the .030" be better on the folder and the .060" better on a fixed blade?

Or would one size be preferred for both types of blades?

I'm going to add a toxic green spacer on my Tenacious and am just not sure what size will work best.
    I want to get this right before I order so any help would've greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I think .030 would be best for a folder. The .060 would be OK for a fixed blade, or use the .030 for both.

3. Iwannashoot

Iwannashoot

Jan 26, 2012
    I just went through this same decision for fixed blades. I wanted black G-10 and all that was available at the time I ordered was .026 thick.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a knife that I just finished using the Black.026. The steel is some of Aldo's 1084 and after surface grinding it came out at about .122 thick.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I think that it really depends on the thickness of the other materials and what your presonal preference is; there really is no right or wrong answer.

4. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    I'm of the mind that there are no right or wrong answers to this question. I think whatever you are in the mood to do is great as long as it works with each particular knife. Make sure that the knife functions properly and you can do whatever you want. Thick, thin, somewhere in the middle? I've used material anywhere from .024" all the way up to .120" or so. Experiment and have fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]