1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Spyderco Delica 4 as main or secondary EDC???

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Flipper98, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Flipper98

Flipper98 Banned BANNED

Jul 25, 2012
    Just ordered the Spyderco Delica 4 saber grind version with black FRN handles off of eBay and I was just wondering if you guys thought this would be a good main or secondary EDC blade??? Tell me what you think.
    Thanks

2. iAn490

iAn490 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I carry mine as a secondary/people friendly blade; its a great little knife!

3. spydercofan

spydercofan

Aug 4, 2010
    Definitely a good main EDC blade unless you're going to be doing a lot of food prep / cutting stuff that requires a longer blade. For my uses outside the kitchen, the delica is more than enough.

4. SAKsRCool

SAKsRCool Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Don't know for sure, but I suspect it's Spyderco's most popular model. I may buy other Spydies to scratch the itch, but most eventually go into a box to be sold in the future. Love me some D4.

5. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    I could see it serving as a secondary blade maybe if you were carrying a large or medium sized fixed blade of some sort, but IMO the Delica is a grand main EDC blade and I carried one several years as my only folder.

6. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I'd say main pocket knife if you are in the city. If you are camping or are in a similar environment and you want a secondary knife to your main fixed blade, I'd rather recommend a Para-military.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    You can carry it for 30 days and see if it comes up short. If not, perhaps its a good primary folder. Many of us like to be prepared for the worst (I do), but in reality a Delica or similar blade will get you through the day just fine. Consider the WWII generation, who seemed to survive just fine with a 3" traditional folder in their pockets.

8. Jet B

Jet B

Jun 27, 2010
    Mine is in my pocket right now if that answers your question. I have the exact model you bought. It's a great beater knife because it's cheap and has a thick tip. Delica for general use, m390 Military for extended slicing, Fallkniven F1 for robust fixed blade tasks. And soon a Tuff for whatever else I can figure out!

I also love my para 2, sage 1, Caly 3, etc etc. But the Delica is in my pocket more since I got it.

9. nuckingfuts

nuckingfuts

Dec 20, 2011
    Of course it depends on your needs, but most of the time my delica is just fine as my only edc blade. I find that I carry my Delica more than my PM2 or other nicer knives.

10. Paradiggum

Paradiggum

Jul 4, 2001
    I've carried a Delica as my main EDC since 1998. The D4 version since 2010. It's always been plenty of knife. However, when bumming around the woods I carry a fixed blade in addition to the Delica.

11. SurfingSalmon

SurfingSalmon

Jan 11, 2011
    Delica works great as a main blade. If I'm not in the mood for my Delica, it usually rides in my bag, well because it just can, lol.

12. jwinkeler

jwinkeler

Mar 24, 2012
    I've tried larger blades but keep coming back to it and it should work just fine as a main EDC blade

13. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    It's fine, I've carried mine for several days and it does everything I use my Endura for (mainly opening boxes), with ease,
    while carrying in the pocket easier than my Endura.

I still prefer my Endura, because I am so ingrained to using it, but I really like the Delica. :thumbup: