1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Spyderco or kershaw?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Balrog99, Jul 15, 2017 at 1:08 AM.

1. Balrog99

Balrog99

Apr 13, 2013
    So, for my next knife I'm looking at either a spyderco tenacious, or some sort of kershaw (probably either the clash or volt 2). I've stayed away from spyderco because I'm not a huge fan of the spyderhole, but I guess I'm willing to try it out. Kershaw on the other hand I have experience with and am quite happy with. I'm currently edcing a CRKT fossil but want something a little less nice to mess up. Based on experience which should I get?

2. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I think you owe it to yourself to give Spyderco a shot. I as well as others did not care for the Spydie look.
    Once I tried one out,there was no turning back. Sure I purchased other brands after my first Spyderco, but found that nothing satisfies
    like a Spyderco.

3. adamlau

adamlau Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Growing up with Benchmade, I was never really into Spyderco until recently. What I realized after handling them in the field is that they are meant to cut and they do it extremely well.

115Italian, 19-3ben, Yonose and 2 others like this.
  4. Moxy

Moxy

Oct 30, 2011
    I haven't been very impressed with Kershaw's Chinese made knives lately. They're not bad, but they're American made models are built better with better quality materials. I've had enough stripped screws and teflon washers. So if you get a Kershaw I'd stay away from their imports. Just my opinion.

Spyderco's imports, on the other hand, are excellent. I'd recommend the Tenacious.

Dfunk1210, 115Italian and Mo2 like this.
  5. Area FiftyOne

Area FiftyOne

Jun 15, 2016
    I have a Kershaw Clash from Knifeworks that I absolutely love. It is in S30V and think it is one of the best made Kershaws.

6. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    The Tenacious is a really nice knife for the money. I have owned several knives from both companies. Kershaw makes outstanding knives, but I would put Spyderco products a couple notches above Kershaw.

dc50 likes this.
  7. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I've both the Kershaw Volt II and the Oso-Sweet. Both are great. I'm a guy who doesn't like holes in his blades.

Rich

8. J85909266

J85909266

Jun 6, 2005
    I recommend the Spyderco Efficient. Less than 50 bucks most places.

[​IMG]

palonej and TheEdge01 like this.
  9. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 5, 2012
    if you are going to buy a budget knife . Spydercos China made knive in my opinion are better made . The tenacious is a really good knife for the money that said If I was looking for a budget kershaw the Link is my choice for $40 or less you can't beat that . kershaw Link USA made over any China made Spyderco

10. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Spyderco.

11. sabre cat

sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Just get both. Buy one and carry it for six months and then do the same with the second knife.

12. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Get a Delica or Endura (based on your size preference) and check it out.

13. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Like some others, I'll also suggest that you at least try a Spyderco. You'll never know whether you can get to liking it or not until you hold, carry, and use one. The Tenacious is a good place to start.

dc50 likes this.
  14. lemonslush

lemonslush Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Spyderco everyday. I would say get a Pilar CRKT over any kershaw.

15. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    Tenacious was my first spydie, after acquiring the paramilitary 2, the military, and the manix2 (among others) I felt ashamed to own a China made, cleaned it up, back in the clamshell to Wally World it went! Still, it lit the spark that turned me on to Spyderco! most of my "collection" until then we're kershaw blurs and leeks in14c28

16. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    As long as I have the option to buy US made I will

17. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    They are blatantly using 3cr13 on folders, fully expecting the purchaser to purchase another rather than resharpen, which in the case of this steel will take less than a day. This is "quarterly profits" controlled marketing at its worst in history. I kind of want to throw out the rest of my kershaws in disgust, but then I take out my ZT's and I forget

18. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I say go for the Spyderco however if you still want a lower end Kershaw you really owe it to yourself to get the US made Link!

19. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I've got a pile of Kershaw's Chinese stuff. I pick one up at Big 5 or Cabelas now and then when they blow them out cheap. There's a bunch of them on sale at Big 5 right now for $20 a pop, including the Oso Sweet, the Volt II and the Zing, which is a fun little frame lock. They're good for beating on... I have them in the truck, in a bag here and there, on the desk etc... and giving away to friends, but I don't EDC them.

The Kershaws I will EDC are American made. The Link is just great, and I have a Scallion that gets plenty of pocket time.

I'm no fan of the Spyderhole. That being said, I found the Persistence and Tenacious to be very serviceable pieces for reasonable cash, and I have to admit that the FFG Delica in VG-10 may just be the finest EDC folder for the money that a discerning knife knut might find. And some folk get into the Spyderhole and never go back, so you at least owe it to yourself to take a couple of Spydies out for a spin.

20. Balrog99

Balrog99

Apr 13, 2013
    I actually got the mini thermite in 3cr steel from kershaw, and I was literally cutting vines and it just knicked a piece of metal and now there's a chunk missing. I think I'll try the tenacious. It's less than 40$ at my local Walmart if I remember correctly

JupiterPaladin likes this.