1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Starved Rock II (Photo Heavy)

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by The Warrior, Oct 7, 2012.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Went to Starved Rock State Park again. We got there too late last night to do anything, but set out hiking today. We had a good time, and I got to test out a few things I've had for awhile. We tried to not go where we went last year. We went last August, and it was in the 90's. Today was a nice 54° out. Good hiking weather. I wanted to take a bunch of photos of my 10, but it was so crowded there today, I was kind of worried to break it out. The trail parking lots were so full, people were parking out along the road. Anyways, here's a few photos.

Not a trail photo, but, there was a car show in Oglesby today, and there were a few Rolls Royce's, and Bentleys parked outside the hotel we stayed at last night:

[​IMG]

Some trail shots. It was colorful out today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Falcon II, with 5.11 bottle holder. First time I've gotten to use it. I had a heavier load out than was necessary, but I wanted to see how it would do. I had about 30-35 lbs worth of stuff in it, and we hiked about 7-8 miles today. At first I thought it was comfortable, but later not so much. Flat up against my back too, which made my back sweat pretty bad. Thinking I'll get another pack:

[​IMG]

Random shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Illinois River:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barge that just went through the locks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not what we had in mind, but like I said, the trail was very traffic heavy today. We went to a park and ate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also used my Brunton Raptor stove, and 38 oz Guyot today for the first time, for hot tea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boilage, after about 8-10 minutes:

[​IMG]

Group shot. Wife's Mora in there too.

[​IMG]

All in all had a good time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    Dubz, you're pix never fail to impress! Glad to see another BK10 fan as well. PM inbound.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Wow, gorgeous!
    Great pix as always.

How'd you get that silver-maned geezer to model your pack for you? :D

-Daizee

4. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks brother, appreciated.

Haha, you bastid, that's me. :D I've had grey hair since I was 16. Kind of runs in my family.

5. DJG097

DJG097

Apr 19, 2009
    Im surprised i didnt see "round" in that post.:D Great pics dubz. Why are you not a pro photographer seems like you'd be good at it.

6. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I don't know, never really thought about it. Have heard others say that before though. What do you mean, "round"?

7. DJG097

DJG097

Apr 19, 2009
    I swear daizee was the one calling you round when you were first starting to workout.. If im wrong i'll feel like a dumbass...

8. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Ah, gotcha. he probably did. :D

9. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I grew up near Starved Rock State Park and spent a bit of time there (my brother's wedding reception was at the lodge). Great pictures - you made it look solitary and attractive despite the "crowds" of people.

To ditch the crowds, visit on a weekday morning and stay away during the summer. On a Wednesday in January you'll likely have the place to yourself. Ever seen the frozen waterfalls in winter?

There are generally (or used to be) fewer visitors at the far west end of the park near St. Louis Canyon.

10. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    I believe this thread will see us visiting Illinois soon. My woman has joined bf now, it's a possibility if she sees it.

11. summit2g

summit2g

Aug 19, 2011
    Man Warrior those pictures are amazing.
    Thanks for sharing !!

12. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Never seen the frozen falls, only photos. This is just my second time there. There weren't even any waterfalls today. Not enough rain I guess.

I've been wanting to go north to Galena, check it out. I think it's fairly touristy as well. Southern Illinois is beautiful. Shawnee National Forest, Garden of the Gods, etc.

13. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Damn. I need to get out more.
    Thanks for sharing, and great photos as always.

If you head this way, hit me up.
    First beers are on me.

14. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    Dude this is so crazy I'm watching 'My Strange Addiction' and this episode has a girl addicted to wearing furry animal suits in public every day and they were just showing her going to Starved Rock in the episode. She frolics playing tag with her BF also in a fur suit and everyone is staring at them. Weird.

Awesome pics as always! I have the same pack, it's an awesome day hike bag eh?

15. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks, appreciated.

And thanks again.

Not too crazy about it really. I'm thinking of getting a different pack. Comfortable at first, but not later on.

16. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    I love mine, I used it on 6-7 hour hikes in Yosemite packed full to bulging. But not everything can fit everyone the same and be comfortable for everyone, different strokes and all that.

17. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Exactly, what works for one, doesn't work for others. Don't get me wrong, it's a well built pack, and I was surprised how comfortable it was at first, but later on, it wasn't working out so well. I did think about getting the Proteus to hook up to it though. That may help. Like this: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...on-Falcon-II-Question?p=10041046#post10041046

18. JV3

JV3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2010
    nice pics! i warned you about the falcon ii but you didn't listen :eek: try an osprey or another brand that's made for true backpacking (proper torso length and a big waist belt that puts the weight on your hips) and you'll definitely notice the improvement :)

19. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    You were right. That's what I was saying in my last post, I thought about getting the Proteus to connect to my Falcon II, to take some of the weight. Hate to spend the extra $60 if it didn't work out though. Am looking into another pack. Good to see you around again JV3, been awhile.

20. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Warrior -

Great shots - very nice color for this early too -

I like that area, we used to ride up to the lodge to have the breakfast buffet.

You picked an awesome day to go - thanks for the pictures.

best

mqqn