Stedemon D-01 folder

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just got this today, was keen to see how it looked in person as the blade shape as well as the handle contours looked great in the photos and in person it did not let me down, it is pretty great. Albeit a large folder

Closed: 5 1/4" long
Blade: 4" long
Blade steel: 440C
Edge bevel thickness: approx .023" so it's ground fairly thin down to the edge

It arrived moderately sharp, meaning you could certainly cut stuff right out of the box, but it could stand to be sharpened up a tad more and that will be attended to shortly.

I know a lot of people just have to have the newest supersteel on the block, while 440C has been around a long time, it's been able to get a decent edge out of it, as to this one's heat treat, time will tell, but at this price point, below $80 at several locations, it's not such a bad thing.

Opening, WOW this thing has a great detent setup that provides a very positive flipping action, the flipper does have some knurling to help that along.

The clip is only right side tip up carry, I'd rather a more deep pocket carry type clip but not sure if anyone will be making something aftermarket as this does have a slight curve to it.

Hardware, all slotted screws, odd to me, my first with such hardware, I may try to locate some replacement screws for the frame and clip, but it's not too bad, the heads of the handle screws are slightly proud of the contoured G10 scales, but not near as much as some photos I've seen on line, so I was happy for that!

Here are some images taken tonight of this one;

Stedemon_closed.jpg~original

Stedemon_clipangle.jpg~original

Stedemon_clip.jpg~original

Nice knife, glad to have her aboard !

G2

Last edited:
Right you are, thanks, I corrected said mistake :)

Also just finished sharpening her up a bit, the edge bevels were actually nice and even, no wobbles to remove so sharpening it was fairly easy and it does take a great edge.
G2

Nice knife. Gary, those are outstanding photos! Any knife company would do well to have you as their photographer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks sir, you're too kind ! I was trying to show off the nice contours they ground in on the scales, very cool workmanship there and the blade, well I've seen a LOT of blades through the years and this one's flat grind was done very well, no ripples along the sides at all, all very flat and even.

and while they look ok, they were just quickly taken on my kitchen table tonight, wish I had a better setup but that does show it pretty good.
G2

I took some sand paper to a few of the sharp edges on the G10 handles to just knock down their crisp edges from the machining, more comfy now also added my lanyard on there with a celtic bead that is both decorative and serves as a keeper to cinch up to your wrist when wearing it.
I did sharpened her up, took a great edge, ground down fairly thin as well, cuts great!

Stedemon_lanyard.jpg~original

Sliding the bead up to the wrist, it stays put and helps to keep the lanyard from sliding off your wrist.

Stedemon_lanyard_on.jpg~original

G2

Last edited:
Couple of shots showing the calipers measuring the edge bevel shoulder thickness after I had sharpened her up a bit...

Stedemon_calipers.jpg~original

Stedemon_edge.jpg~original

Stedemon_edge_1.jpg~original

G2

Last edited:
Hi Gary, great pictures and great review. Stedemon knives should do something as a special thank you for this outstanding review.
You cause a lot of people who follow your posts to spend more and more money on knives:D

Thanks RJ, and that would be great, love to get one of their Bastion models to try out, but I never do these reviews with any thoughts of being compensated, falls back to my love of steel and my passion of photography, combine those two and you can not help but get some photos and some words placed along side each other telling the tale and enlightening folks on some of the finer points about my latest acquisition, so in that respect I do think that some of them may chance a gamble based on my reviews, hopefully it pays off for them as well.

G2

Nice pics...likely exc value for the money. Even the steel was top-flite not so long ago. Thanx for the review...

Thanks and yes, 440C use to be a very upstanding steel at one time...in history, but this so far has proved to still be very good as well.

Their markings on the blade are raised above the grind of the blade, where most are etched down into the blade, you can almost feel the texture of the letters from this photo I just took of it;

Stedemon_D01_embossed.jpg~original

G2

Couple more shots

Stedemon-D-01_open.jpg~original

Stedemon-D-01_blade.jpg~original

G2

Last edited:
Just got this today, was keen to see how it looked in person as the blade shape as well as the handle contours looked great in the photos and in person it did not let me down, it is pretty great. Albeit a large folder

Closed: 5 1/4" long
Blade: 4" long
Blade steel: 440C
Edge bevel thickness: approx .023" so it's ground fairly thin down to the edge

It arrived moderately sharp, meaning you could certainly cut stuff right out of the box, but it could stand to be sharpened up a tad more and that will be attended to shortly.

I know a lot of people just have to have the newest supersteel on the block, while 440C has been around a long time, it's been able to get a decent edge out of it, as to this one's heat treat, time will tell, but at this price point, below $80 at several locations, it's not such a bad thing.

Opening, WOW this thing has a great detent setup that provides a very positive flipping action, the flipper does have some knurling to help that along.

The clip is only right side tip up carry, I'd rather a more deep pocket carry type clip but not sure if anyone will be making something aftermarket as this does have a slight curve to it.

Hardware, all slotted screws, odd to me, my first with such hardware, I may try to locate some replacement screws for the frame and clip, but it's not too bad, the heads of the handle screws are slightly proud of the contoured G10 scales, but not near as much as some photos I've seen on line, so I was happy for that!

Here are some images taken tonight of this one;

Stedemon_closed.jpg~original

Stedemon_clipangle.jpg~original

Stedemon_clip.jpg~original

Nice knife, glad to have her aboard !

G2

Great review and nice photos. Can I update those photo to FB?

Thanks and yes that would be fine to use them

G2

Thanks for the review! I was not aware of this maker and I really like the design, size and price point. Very reasonably priced actually. I will be picking one up

You're most welcome, it's a great design, fits well in the hand, I did end up passing it along to a friend out west as the blade length was just a bit long for me for an edc, otherwise, I'd never have parted ways with it !
G2

Well, Gary... my Stedemon Shy 4 arrived. This company will shoot to the top fast. The design and F&F are spot-on!
I think the Shy 4 is the nicest kwaiken folder on the market to date.
Can ya please post a pic? :)
rolf

Back