1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Stiff mini cqc-7

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by VolundoftheForge, Jun 5, 2012.

1. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Cleaned it out and lubed and still pretty stiff. Suggestions?

2. IGotStabbed

IGotStabbed

Jul 11, 2007
    My mini came stiff too. Dissembled it and applied some Sentry hi-slip grease to all sides of the washer and it's been butter smooth since.

3. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    I used gun oil. :p I figure if it's a knife meant to be abused a little gun lube won't hurt.

Also: Should I avoid playing with it too much? the ti-liner worries me. By the way are both sides ti? I ran a magnet over both and no response.

4. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    ..And the body screws just stripped..

5. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Volund,
    Emerson knives have Nylatron washers. This is a self lubricating material, similar to teflon. It doesn't require any oil or lube. Why would you take it apart? The only thing you really needed to do is back off the pivot about 1/8th of a turn.

Using a screwdriver that is too small or too large with most definitely strip the screw heads. It should take a Phillips 1.

6. IGotStabbed

IGotStabbed

Jul 11, 2007
    Contact Emerson, they will send you a new packet of screws.
    Locking side is Ti. The other side is non-magnetic stainless.
    My 2012 Commander came with 1 Nytralon and 1 bronze washer so lube accordingly.

7. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Mine had dual Nylatron, and I lubed because it was extremely stiff to use. Also, it is literally painfully sticky and bites my finger hard whenever I have to deactivate the lock, not in a good way.

8. ScreaminSS01

ScreaminSS01

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm no Emerson expert but I thought they only had one type of washer. Are they the same size?

9. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Not sure. I'd check but I can't take it apart since the screws stripped in so I'm waitign til I get the spares before getting it out.

10. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    The washers are not the same size. I believe the smaller washer goes on the non-locking side, but I'm going from memory. The washer should not block the detent.

11. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    That couldvery well be why it's rough. Thanks. I need to get that damn screw out..

Edit: COuldn't open it but ran a flashlight through the gap. They appear to be on their right sides, the smaller being on the non locking side.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  12. Oldhairpin

Oldhairpin

Jun 8, 2012
    When i got my CQC-7 it wasn't particularly well put together and the blade was at a slight angle and the action was a bit gritty so I took it apart, cleaned it all with cotton buds and WD-40, sprayed on some excess and put it all back together and a week later of constant use it's still lovely.

Take care, Ben