1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Strangest payment method

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Charlie Mike, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    I once wad paid in $1 US Morgans by a militia type who refused to use federal reserve notes.

2. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    Nice! You were well paid.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    For those who did not know, just as I did not know:

Morgan silver dollars are the most popular and widely collected of all U.S. silver coins. Minted between 1878 and 1904, and again in 1921, Morgan dollars are sought by both investors and collectors for their high silver content, superb minting, and potential leverage to the silver market. They offer all the advantages of silver bullion plus the added potential of scarce collectible coins. Link.

4. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Mine was a stack of 10 1921s.

5. Shaw Blades

Shaw Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2009
    That's about what now at the current silver rate, 300 I think. In a couple more years it will probably be worth double, crazy!

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Right now, they have $26 worth of silver in each, and should get you about $ 15-20 from a silver buyer.
    A few are worth more in collectible coin value, but 99+% of Morgan dollars are worth $25-35.

The reference to "High Silver Content" refers to the Morgan Dollar being struck in .900 silver, as opposed to .800 for many other silver coins (often referred to as "Coin Silver).

7. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Yup. I cashed out at $206.

8. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    if im offered gold or silver at non prime market value i am apt to make the trade

the US dollar is only worth what the "people" deam it worth after all its jsut paper much liek a coupon at a store being worth .50$ but the printed vaule of the paper and ink is 1/100 of a cent

9. ernestrome

ernestrome

Jan 25, 2006
    Put it this way, it's how I met my wife :p

10. ERIK KNIVES

ERIK KNIVES

Aug 17, 2010
    I was paid in lobster tails.

11. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    Beef jerky! 3 lbs. of really good stuff from Eudora, Kansas in exchange for one of my forges. Retail was about $50 per lb. for it. I also bought a 4' bar of steel from Sam Salvati at Ashokan once for a bag of jerky! I no longer accept frozen chickens or clams.

12. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket Moderator

Apr 15, 2010
    I almost want to ask why...

I feel left out, I've only ever been paid with cash or via PayPal. Pretty boring.

13. lava_lamp

lava_lamp

Oct 5, 2006
    You put your finger on the problem of gold or silver for the individual investor. Just like buying and selling foreign currency, the transaction costs on both ends eat you alive. The "market pice" is $260-$300 according to one of the posts above and it cost you 30% or more to convert it to cash. Not only are people done a disservice when people advise them to buy gold at historic highs, the costs involved make it such that it has to rise another 30% to 50% for them to make a profit. Maybe that will happen, but there is inherent risk that people don't talk about.

Gold and silver have real value and will always have real value. The price today, however, is a market based price, just like real estate or dollars, or stocks. If it re-adjusts, as has happened with real estate and stocks, a lot of folks will be left holding a loss (again...)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    I just traded my labor for some killer knifemaking materials this morning, the bareter system is alive and well in the USA, its just a matter of being open to it, i got a side a beef in the works right now with a buddy of mine, i sharpen knives for a mail room operator and enjoy some nice shipping and recievung benefits!

15. Calvin Richardson

Calvin Richardson

Oct 13, 2011
    I know this is very nerdy and quite immature, but I traded a knife for Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Kinda makes mes blush in embarrassment.

16. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    Dude, that's AWESOME! how the K/D going?

17. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    Lets see, what I can remember..
    Got paid in Coal once..
    Got paid in steel several times...
    A 1979 4x4 chevy truck....
    Tools several times...
    Hunting/trapping rights to a property..
    Goats....
    Turkeys...
    Guns more times than I can count..
    Trade is pretty popular around here as you can see...

18. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    Forgot to mention my favorite. It was for computer repair, not a knife, but the guy was broke and offered to pay me with a couple rockets. I sold one and kept the smaller one! I only remembered because the guy came in today looking for a part for his computer this morning. Yes, you have to file with the FAA to launch it since it weighs over 5 lbs. with the engines installed.
    rocket.jpg

19. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    handles blocks
    food
    beer
    cutting boards
    DSLR lens
    flashlights
    damascus

im open to some things but not all (got no place for a goat tho maybe a GTO i could find space for :) )

20. Calvin Richardson

Calvin Richardson

Oct 13, 2011
    Not so well. I had an almost 2.0 KDR in Black Ops, but I'm lucky to run a 1.1 KDR in this one. The maps are generally unfavorable for sniping and the timing is different.