Strider Experts: I have some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this or the MT&E forum would be better for this post but I'm sure it can be moved if need be. I've just got a couple concerns about my Strider and I'd like to get some feedback on whether I have issues or not.

I recently purchased one of the new black-oxide coated Strider SNG's with 3/4 grind and flamed Ti and it is my first Strider. I've read some things about them having sticky locks when new and being a little tight. Mine wasn't tight when I got it but I noticed at first that when I put a good amount of pressure on the blade (when cutting) the lock-bar seemed to sink deeper into the tang, wedging itself, and traveling slightly further toward the opposite side. When that would happen, it would get a little sticky. For a while, if I didn't put any downword pressure on the blade after opening it, I was experiencing a good amount of up and down blade play and a little "lock-rock." When I put pressure on the blade, the lock-bar would seat itself deep again and become solid.

Well, now after a month and a half, the lock-bar seems to have traveled over further than I would have expected since I've seen pics of other Striders, new and old, that had much earlier lock-up than mine has now. The lock-rock issue seems to have smoothed itself out but lock-up is considerable later than it was new. Is this an issue? I've included a pic to show how far.

My other question is regarding the washers. The washer on the G10 side spins with the blade and seems to be stuck to it and the washer on the Ti side is fixed and doesn't move with the blade. I've never seen a washer spin with the blade and I want to make sure it's not gonna wear on the G10 incorrectly.

Thanks for your time and expertise:

IMG_2962.jpg

Last edited:
I had an SMF that I used and have sold. The lockbar only engaged the width of the lockbar on the tang and never moved to the right at all.
The porportions in your pic of the tang/lockbar don't seem right to me.....the tang on my SMF was at Least 2.5 to 3 times or more wider than the lockbar. In your pic
the lockbar and the tang look about the same size/width. :confused::confused:

It is standard situation in used folding Striders. Lockbar on the tang touch only in one single point to back of blade :-( Removing of the titanium on the lockbar in this situation depends on time and how often you open the knife. Sad but true.

Last edited:
My SNG was a used hand me down so mine was already worn in when I got it and it has lockup similar to yours. I will say that Strider framelocks move over at an alarmingly fast rate due to the design of it. It has minimal amount of contact between the lockbar face and blade tang which accelerates wear. Its pretty normal to see a new Strider move over that much within a few months. Once its worn in the lockbar doesnt move that much. I've had my SNG for almost a year now and the lockup has remained at 65%. As for the bladeplay issue, I have handled 3 different SNGs and they all had some form of play. Some more than others but I've come to accept it as part of the design. I would just deal with the vertical play unless you dont mind having hideous black caps put on your blade stops to fix it.

I had an SMF that I used and have sold. The lockbar only engaged the width of the lockbar on the tang and never moved to the right at all.
The porportions in your pic of the tang/lockbar don't seem right to me.....the tang on my SMF was at Least 2.5 to 3 times or more wider than the lockbar. In your pic
the lockbar and the tang look about the same size/width. :confused::confused:
Thats because the SNG has thinner blade stock than the SMF.

Thats because the SNG has thinner blade stock than the SMF.
Yeah, exactly -- this is correct re: the relative dimensions of the lockbar and blade stock.

Regarding the lockup, I wouldn't worry about the late lock-up simply because it's late; the lockbar isn't going to go much farther than it is right now due to the curved design of the blade tang. The only time I'd worry about it is if the lock develops slippage or the vertical play issue develops again. If that happens, send it in to Strider and they'll fix it up for you.

As for the washer on one side spinning with the blade, I've noticed the same thing on every Strider I have, so I'd assume it's part of the design.

Wow. I have yearned for a Strider of some form for a while now but any amount of blade-play is unacceptable to me on a locking knife. I have Kershaw's costing under $50 that have zero play , one would think a knife of this ... integrity , would have no play as well. ?

Tostig

My two SnGs had no blade play. Well one of them did and I sent it in for service and they fixed it.

The vast majority of Striders I've owned haven't had any blade play, whether horizontally or vertically.

Having said that, I don't really care about horizontal blade play unless it's significant enough to affect the functionality of the knife. But Tostig, if you're extremely picky about even the slightest modicum of blade play simply for its own sake (i.e., independent of whether it affects the functioning of the knife in some way), I'd honestly say that Striders might not be the best choice of knife for you. (Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just offering some advice that might save you some frustration.)

Wow. I have yearned for a Strider of some form for a while now but any amount of blade-play is unacceptable to me on a locking knife. I have Kershaw's costing under $50 that have zero play , one would think a knife of this ... integrity , would have no play as well. ?

Tostig

2 out of my 3 have no blade play, but I'd say 80% of the Striders I have handled have had horizontal play. I have yet to see a Strider with play that cannot be adjusted out by tightening the pivot. Also, it is worth noting that the knife is still smooth after tightening the pivot.

Undertow82, looking how far the lockbar has traveled in just month and a half - I would have been worried. Considering strange behavior of washer and comments from experienced Strider users... I think neuron is right in his comment Strider is not for everybody. I would have returned the knife.

But it is just me. Thinking about Strider knives I always recall that picture - Bob Loveless in Strider workshop... Look at the body language! :D
BobLoveless.jpg

Bob Loveless was a great man!

Last edited:
After 5 different SMF and SNG, none had any blade play. Adjust the piviot.

Your lock doesn't look bad. Did your lock look like the pic when it was brand new?

lock.jpg

It is standard situation in used folding Striders. Lockbar on the tang touch only in one single point to back of blade :-( Removing of the titanium on the lockbar in this situation depends on time and how often you open the knife. Sad but true.

A properly designed liner/frame lock will only have that small point of contact between the tang and lock face. If there was full contact between these two points, the lock would not function properly.

A properly designed liner/frame lock will only have that small point of contact between the tang and lock face. If there was full contact between these two points, the lock would not function properly.

Tell this to Chris Reeve :D In all Sebenzas I have, lockingbar touches at all surface to the tang. Also I've never heard about blade play in any Sebenza. Price position on the market is almost thesame - quality not.
In this moment I have one folding Strider. It's model RCC Tad with liner lock. And it is first Strider I've seen without blade play in horizontal.
Ok, maybe I've seen not enought folding Striders to have opinion ;-)

Last edited:
After 5 different SMF and SNG, none had any blade play. Adjust the piviot.

Your lock doesn't look bad. Did your lock look like the pic when it was brand new?

lock.jpg

I'd say mine looked more or less like the lock-up in your pic and after using and opening it since then(over a month), it's traveled to the point it is now.

From the above responses, I'm glad that mine isn't out of the ordinary and I'm mainly glad the lock-rock and blade play is gone and lock-up is rock solid in both directions. The lock-bar seems to have stopped it's travel for now.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it.

Tell this to Chris Reeve :D In all Sebenzas I have, lockingbar touches at all surface to the tang. Also I've never heard about blade play in any Sebenza. Price position on the market is almost thesame - quality not.
In this moment I have one folding Strider. It's model RCC Tad with liner lock. And it is first Strider I've seen without blade play in horizontal.
Ok, maybe I've seen not enought folding Striders to have opinion ;-)

Look really close, you'll notice that the Sebbie's lock bar only contacts the blade tang on the tang's edge, because the tang is machined at an angle, so the two surfaces dont have 100% contact.

I'd like to know what percentage (estimate) of Strider folders actually have blade-play?
Despite whether or not the play affects functionality.

Crimsontide and Neuron thanks for the replies. I wasn't trying to question the brand's build integrity just yakking out loud. :)

That pic of Mr. Bob in the shop , the other guys look just a tad intimidated... :D

Tostig

I'd like to know what percentage (estimate) of Strider folders actually have blade-play?
Despite whether or not the play affects functionality.
Depends on your definition of blade play, but using the most inclusive definition possible -- being able to feel any movement whatsoever in the blade when grasping it near the tip and wiggling it back and forth -- I'd estimate about 25% of the ones I've owned have had (horizontal) "blade play" in the sense just defined. (I've owned upwards of a dozen Striders, so that estimate is based on a fairly large sample size, at least for a single individual.)

I should note, though, that the blade play on all of those was very minor and dependent on the particular definition/testing method: if I grasped the blade near the middle instead of near the tip and then wiggled it, I couldn't feel any movement.

As for vertical blade play, none of the ones I've owned have had that out of the box baggie, and only one developed it over time. I sent that one in to Strider, and it came back with a rock-solid lockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back