Stropping: angle plus pressure

The technique is simple. Lay the blade flat on the leather and push forward while raising the spine in tiny increments. At some point the edge will bite into the leather - that's the angle that you have no choice but to work with because it happens to be the actual angle of the edge.

Once the edge bites pull back with light pressure and at the end of the stroke just stop - stop and pull the blade up and off the leather.

If you pull the blade off of the leather at the end of the stroke in an arc, which is a very normal thing to do, you will have undone all of your work.

This explains it Lucy!!!! I had a pretty good edge coming off the XXF stone then I was dulling it on the strop.....I concentrated on the motion as explained above, and it makes all the difference...thanks!:thumbup:

For someone who has very little success at stroppin, and still don't. I'll reread this seversal times and see if it sinks in, bbbut by all means back to the top!

Electric,

Up to the top again - for the stropping threads that are popping up! :)

Thats a great illustration with the string . It really helped understand what I was doing wrong,

I polish the bevels on most of my knives. The bevel feels very slick on the leather when the angle is just right (all my edges are convex). If the angle is too steep, the edge drags (obviously) and it feels rougher. Same deal if the angle is too shallow, causing the shoulder to drag.

The more I do it, the more I'm inclined to use as light amount of pressure as is possible (just enough to maintain consistent contact with the strop, without 'skipping' across the leather). I figure if I'm needing to lean into it very hard at all, it probably indicates I didn't quite finish the job with my hones.

Since no edge is absolutely perfect (yet, but I'm still working on it :D), and there's always at least a very tiny rounding off at the very edge, I'll make a couple of very, very light passes with the angle elevated just a little. In effect, I look at this as polishing the 'microbevel'. Seems to give it just a little more 'bite'.

To Twindog:
Your string & wedge 'visual aid' is excellent. Very simple & a great way to illustrate the concept. Nicely done! :thumbup:

What he said. I mirror polish all my edges and know I have it just right when it glides across the strop. Any time it starts to feel rough I know I have the wrong angle. It should float across the strop with no resistance. Also, I don't use any pressure, unless it is an extremely light folder. Then I will add just a little tiny spec of pressure until it feels right.

But I mainly use a power strop. I usually turn the edge into the belt until I hear the edge to just start to bite the belt and then back off. I know I have the perfect angle then and it polishes up the edge to the nth degree and that is when my knives are at their ultimate sharpness.

Last edited:
Bump to the top again....this explains so much with pictures. I've read way too many long posts on stropping and this pretty much covers it. ;)

I think you are on a mission from God. :thumbup:

Nice to see you back! :)

Stitchawl

I am for sure. :cool: A guy was asking questions about basic stropping pressure, angles etc. in General Discussion so I found this thread and posted a link into his thread of the OP.

It keeps from explaining the whole deal over and over again. Some questions make me think the OP's shouldn't be allowed to carry a knife.

e.g. "What's the best knife for under $200?" and other gems. :D

I can spend between $2 and $1000 for a knife. Should I get a folder or a fixed blade. Custom or production. HELP!

I can spend between $2 and $1000 for a knife. Should I get a folder or a fixed blade. Custom or production. HELP!

I just reported your post to a mod to have it moved to General Discussion due to it's relevancy....:p :D

You didn't tell us what color you wanted? How can we help you if you don't give use enough information? Sheesh! Newbies! :eek:

Stitchawl

Back up to the top. All newbie stroppers need to see the OP in this thread. ;)

Back