1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sun Fighter Blade 2012 Best Damascus

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by D lisch, Jun 17, 2012.

1. D lisch

D lisch KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2007
    Hi Folks I want to show My Knife that I made for blade this year I tried to do something different and work out side my comfort zone I am very glad I did I will be doing more knives like this that really push my skill level thanks for looking http://www.fototime.com/C96537D414B78E8/orig.jpg

2. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    That is one of the coolest knives I have seen in a while. Great job.

3. claudio-cas

claudio-cas

May 19, 2010
    Congratulations, a very impressive damask. You have well deserved the award.
    Claudio

4. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Dave that looks amazing. Figured I would add he image to the thread.

God Bless YA
    Randy

[​IMG]

5. MT Damascus

MT Damascus Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Very nice pattern, congrats on the award, Dave, much deserved

Kris

6. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 1999
    Congrats David. Its a magnificent pattern. The handle carving is beautiful. Heck the whole knife is off the chart. Well deserved winner.

7. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    That's a beauty.

Marcel

8. SBranson

SBranson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 29, 2006
    Wow Dave. Quite a departure from the norm and you do a fantastic job of it. That damascus is amazing. Damn I wish I was attending your course this summer.

9. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    Been waiting on this one to show up,and it was worth the wait!Dave my brother,you REALLY outdid yourself on this one.From the kick ass damacus,to the handle carving,and the super cool butt cap,every single aspect of this knife is just spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bbingenheimer

bbingenheimer KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 4, 2010
    Very nice Dave, Congrates on well deserved award. I love it when you push yourself. I can't wait to see what you do next.

" Bing"
    Bruce Bingenheimer
    ABS Journeysmith
    CKCA

11. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Well deserved award! Fine looking knife also!

12. Michael Starr

Michael Starr Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Love the Damascus pattern, the ivory is beautiful, the carving really dresses it up and pulls the whole knife together.
    My wife wants it - she hates knives but collects crosses.

Way to push your limits, Mr. Lisch.
    Congrats on the well deserved award.

13. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    Love it Dave!
    Your gonna need a bigger wall to hang all of these awards from pretty soon!! :thumbup::thumbup:

14. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Nice, Dave!

Congrats!

15. ptgdvc

ptgdvc Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2003
    As good as Coop's image is, it does not do this knife justice.

I was able to hold it in bright sun light and the pattern explodes off the blade.

Dave is doing great work of the highest level. It is fun to watch his development :thumbup:

16. billf

billf Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Dave

It's not just the Damascus that deserves an award - that whole knife is a winner:D

the blade, the carving, the handle....the fact that it is an integral....

Wow

Bill Flynn

17. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    What Peter said about the pattern. When the light hits it just right, shimmering rays radiate outward from the sun the entire length and width of the blade. :eek: I kid you not.

David - don't be so sparce with the details - there's gotta be a story behind how you came to this particular concept for both the damascus pattern and the overall design of the knife - give it over!

Please. :)

Roger

18. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    I saw this knife and I have to agree with everyone else

Well deserved accolades Dave

19. D lisch

D lisch KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2007
    Wow I just got back home from the shop and all I can say is thank you all very much for the Kind words. Roger, as it is your knife Now Thank you. I will tell a little about how it came about. I have played with plug welding a bit and that is how I came up with this thought and as with any good knife there is a lot of thought that goes into it. The coolest part about the sun in this knife is that it is round you cannot weld in a round plug into a knife and do all the forging I did to this knife and have it still be round. So you must start with an oval and forge it to round so there is some calculating that you must do. This is the first knife that I carved on the steel this much. I will see if I can find the other knife that I did with a carved handle and just a bit on the guard. In my past I carved a good bit of stone. All a good bit bigger then any knife parts but carving is carving so there is some crossover. I bought a full tusk at Blade 2009 and as you can see I finally got up the nerve to cut it up. my goal was to do something different on each part of the knife and there is only so many things you can do to a butt cap so I fought every urge I had to do what I would do in the past and came up with this it flows with the lines of the carving. thats all I can think of for now but I will answer any questions any of you may have. Thanks again.

20. Aaron Wilburn

Aaron Wilburn

Apr 16, 2011
    WOW ! ! !
    Dave this is a masterpiece . You must of had fun doing it. The Damascus at that level is what I would expect from you but the carving !!!Best Damascus 2012 Blade as it should be. Well done my friend ! ! !